Feeding Baby Grey Banded Kingsnake - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 12:41 AM   #11
WebSlave
FYI, I never had any luck getting gray banded kings to eat anoles, much less anything scented with them. Sceloporus worked best for me, but I also had luck with Mediterranean and house geckos.

I got to the point where I was having to buy the lizards, freeze them, and then putting them in a blender to make a paste for scenting that I kept in separate vials in the freezer. I think it was about that point that I decided I didn't want to work with gray banded kings any longer, as it was getting ridiculous trying to get them to feed. And push comes to shove, I actually started liking fence lizards a whole lot more than the king snakes. Sceloporus aren't as common in Florida as you would think they should be. They were a LOT more common up in Maryland where I used to live.

BTW, something I just thought of that I was trying out towards the end of my gray banded king days that I thought was looking promising. I had a bunch of these little horticultural planter bases laying around for one reason or another, and I drilled a hole in the center of them wide enough for a little gray banded king to crawl into that hole with the bases turned upside down in the cage. It formed a sort of cave with the entrance at the top. The gray banded kings liked hiding in there, and I also moistened those bases as the clay tended to hold moisture, which I think was beneficial for the kings. Maybe the clay resembled the stone crevices they tend to hang out in the wild. In any event, I seem to recall I was having limited success getting some kings to eat more readily by just dropping a feed item into the hole of the base in with the gray band sitting inside. Not sure you can even find these real clay bases any longer, as probably all of them are now made of plastic and coming from China. But if you're not sure what I am talking about to look for them, I'll attach an image. Just get one small enough that the gray band feels cozy inside. Not too big to where it might not feel protected, and not so small that he would feel cramped. Probably around 4 inches or so in diameter would do it.

Again, good luck!
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #12
Runs_With_Wolves
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
FYI, I never had any luck getting gray banded kings to eat anoles, much less anything scented with them. Sceloporus worked best for me, but I also had luck with Mediterranean and house geckos.

I got to the point where I was having to buy the lizards, freeze them, and then putting them in a blender to make a paste for scenting that I kept in separate vials in the freezer. I think it was about that point that I decided I didn't want to work with gray banded kings any longer, as it was getting ridiculous trying to get them to feed. And push comes to shove, I actually started liking fence lizards a whole lot more than the king snakes. Sceloporus aren't as common in Florida as you would think they should be. They were a LOT more common up in Maryland where I used to live.

BTW, something I just thought of that I was trying out towards the end of my gray banded king days that I thought was looking promising. I had a bunch of these little horticultural planter bases laying around for one reason or another, and I drilled a hole in the center of them wide enough for a little gray banded king to crawl into that hole with the bases turned upside down in the cage. It formed a sort of cave with the entrance at the top. The gray banded kings liked hiding in there, and I also moistened those bases as the clay tended to hold moisture, which I think was beneficial for the kings. Maybe the clay resembled the stone crevices they tend to hang out in the wild. In any event, I seem to recall I was having limited success getting some kings to eat more readily by just dropping a feed item into the hole of the base in with the gray band sitting inside. Not sure you can even find these real clay bases any longer, as probably all of them are now made of plastic and coming from China. But if you're not sure what I am talking about to look for them, I'll attach an image. Just get one small enough that the gray band feels cozy inside. Not too big to where it might not feel protected, and not so small that he would feel cramped. Probably around 4 inches or so in diameter would do it.

Again, good luck!
Oh, a terra cotta? I'll try that.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
Runs_With_Wolves
Would a dead comet fish be okay to try?

Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
WebSlave
I guess you could try anything, but bear in mind the natural history environment of the gray banded king snake and consider what the likelihood is that fish would be a natural prey item for them.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
Runs_With_Wolves
Okay. So my older snake is about to shed. Could I take a part of the shed and wrap it around a pinkie? Would eating part of a shed hurt her?

Old 09-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #16
Beyond GenetiX
I had a mussurana that was reluctant to eat and that is what I did. It ate it within 5 minutes, it was a very fresh shed.

I would start small, sometimes you can entice a snake with a scent (shed, frog, toad, depending on species) and then put a pinkie in its mouth once it's opened.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Runs_With_Wolves
Ok, so the shed didn't work. I tried a tiny commet fish and tease feeding. She bites the fish and then spits it out. Weird thing is, after she spits out the fish she keeps her mouth open. Almost like she unhinged her jaw and doesn't quite know how to put everything back together. . . Or maybe she just hates the taste of fish. :/ I ordered some scents and food drom that place y'all said, but it wont be here till Thursday.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
Runs_With_Wolves
Still nothing. Would a beaten egg smeared on a pinkie do any good?

Old 10-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #19
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet76 View Post
I'd order sooner than later, they only ship once a month.
They just started shipping weekly.
https://reptilinks.com/collections/scenting

Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #20
Runs_With_Wolves
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
They just started shipping weekly.
https://reptilinks.com/collections/scenting
Bought that. She ignored it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!