I miss Steve Irwin.... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
Seamus Haley
The sea snake incident aired, as far as I know, only once and was then pulled from the rerun rotation by the network. Sea snakes tend to be able to open their mouth to a wider angle than many other species and can envenomate with the jaw wide open and the fangs forward against broader surfaces as a result. Irwin held one behind the head, coaxed the mouth open and then pressed the snake against a piece of glass (maybe plexiglass) and pushed forward until the jaw was open 180 degrees against this flat unyeilding surface. The blood was a pretty good indicator that he broke it as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingetula View Post
Steve was the spark who started it all. Many have followed but none will be Steve Irwin!
Fowler? Perkins? Attenborough?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
jasballs
Who is Steve irwin?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
Kingetula
yep, I agree

Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
Wolfy-hound
Fowler and Perkins were okay, if the critter had fur. They were more of the "Look at the evil snake waiting for the innocent bunny" type, but you did get to see some animals.
Attenborough is dry dry dry. Magnificent camerawork, with a boring onscreen presence. There's a reason most have never heard of him. I'm sure he likes the animals.. but his shows are not that exciting to watch, so people don't watch, so people aren't exposed to the animals.

And I'd like to point out.. you saw once a sea snake on screen, saw a bit of blood.. so you say the snake died? That's a reach. With the media frenzy out there spearheaded by PETA, I'm pretty sure if there was proof it would be out there. Practically everything Irwin did was on film, should be easy to find.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
Attenborough is dry dry dry. Magnificent camerawork, with a boring onscreen presence. There's a reason most have never heard of him. I'm sure he likes the animals.. but his shows are not that exciting to watch, so people don't watch, so people aren't exposed to the animals.
That's... pretty much the exact opposite of my opinion of him and his work. He's rocking the accent and the soft spoken tones which I suppose would be considered "boring" relative to Irwin shouting over-the-top moronic australian catch phrases for an international audience- but the volume, quality and scope of the information he'd present was staggering. I'd much rather have Attenborough spend five minutes detailing the environmental pressures that led to the development of a physical or behavioral trait than a jerk in shorts screaming and making completely inaccurate superlative claims.

Quote:
And I'd like to point out.. you saw once a sea snake on screen, saw a bit of blood.. so you say the snake died? That's a reach. With the media frenzy out there spearheaded by PETA, I'm pretty sure if there was proof it would be out there. Practically everything Irwin did was on film, should be easy to find.
I said "the blood was a pretty good indicator that he broke it as a result" I did not say "there was a bit of blood" or "there was a drop of blood" or anything else indicating the volume. There was more talk about it when it aired among herpers, some probably exists in the archives of various forum based websites. Without seeing it for yourself I suppose you can either trust in my experience and judgement in saying that the snake died as a result of the injuries is sustained diretly from the poor handling practices Irwin regularly displayed... or question my judgement and regard it as an unknown... or reject my judgement and believe the animal was in perfect health.

PETA was hardly the only segment of the population that objected to Irwin. I never liked his misinformation, his approach towards handling or the inaccuracies that arose from the superlative emphasis he (or the editing team or production manager or...) put on everything he did. I didn't like him violating a pile of laws by touching penguins. I didn't like the few reports that surfaced from australians who worked at the park he owned, although acknowledged that ex-employess aren't always the most straight shooting folks. I didn't like the kid dangling video... I had no respect for the man as a herpetologist, zoologist or naturalist while he was alive and that didn't miraculously change when he died as a direct result of the same asshattery I didn't respect while he was alive.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
MiIguanaLvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
I truly wish i could have met him. I grew up watching him, and every time i see him on TV, or hear about him somewhere, it makes me sad. I dont think i ever felt quite as bad about a person i never actually knew.... someone that i saw only on TV. He is greatly missed by me.
I'm with you Alicia, although I am too old to have grown up with him. My first real exposure to herps was through him and his programs. I am not going to argue the validity of Seamus' points because I am no where near educated enough on the wide variety of herp care to comment but I can say that I personally admired him and his excitment for the animals he was passionate about.
I still remember the day and time I heard of his passing and it will be with me forever.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post
Fowler? Perkins? Attenborough?
lol - Wild Kingdom, fond memories...but so many variations of the same theme

"...and Jim is going to attempt to castrate the water buffalo with his Swiss Army knife" Camera goes to Jim - clad in safari shorts & hat - who trots bravely into battle. The skirmish ensues, Jim's hat comes off, there are clouds of dirt & grunting sounds....then the camera pans to Marlin - sitting calmly in the jeep, enjoying a ham sandwich. Back to Jim, walking (limping?) sullenly back to the jeep - his shirt untucked, clothes dirty, definitely looking the worse for his experience.
"That one got away...but there's always next time on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom"

Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #18
texasnewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post

David Attenborough was my introduction to all sorts of Wildlife that I could only dream existed. I grew up watching his nature programs. While some people think of him as dry and boring, I thought his voice was hypnotizing, he is passionate about the animals he films. Though his passion is softly spoken and not screaming and in your face like Irwin.

I watched Steve Irwin shows and was sad to hear he died but I have to admit, his death wasn't a surprise. In my opinion, he manhandled the animals and stepped over the line once too often.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #19
WingedWolf
Maybe his death wouldn't have been a surprise if he'd been eaten by a crocodile or tagged by a venomous snake...but come on...a stingray barb to the heart? How on earth is that not a surprise? He wasn't even messing with that animal, just swimming over it--though plenty of people do play with stingrays, and getting barbed at all is pretty rare.

It wasn't stepping over the line that killed him.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #20
Wolfy-hound
Don't get me wrong. *I* enjoy the Attenborough programs, but most don't because he's just dry. He tends to find neat things I haven't seen before, as opposed to yet another bufo, or yet another saltwater croc, or nile croc. But as someone to get the common person to love reptiles, he doesn't have a good draw. The camerawork on his programs is 'hands down' some of the best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!