Strange Spider behavior - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
Mike P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
That might be all that's important to you, Mike...but I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of people that don't share that viewpoint. I know I'd be pretty darned upset if any of my spiders were exhibiting that degree of neuro dysfunction.
Perhaps that came off wrong, however there are sooo many threads on this subject already on all the forums - I've kept a few over the years and they all exhibited some type of this behavior - some earlier, some later - some seem to calm down after time.

I will admit that I am in the group that believes "All" spiders got something going on - and with the plethora of info out there, one must make a choice to work with these animals or not - or even just to keep them as pets - As Ed Clark posted, he has made his decision and I respect that.

When I see new threads like these, it just tells me that the person has not done their homework - the potential problems with spiders is well known, and been out there for many years just a few keystrokes away.

While we see some ads for spiders that may claim the don't not show any ill effects, and perhaps they do not "at this time" - How many would be willing to guarantee that for the life of the animal - Considering your time and $$$ vested - I think you would not hear back from many of these people.

Buyer beware as the potential is there, and it's been well documented publicly for years...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
Mike P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxez View Post
True words from someone that doesnt care for the animals just the money they can make off of it. good thing i'd never buy anything from you if you had it for sale.
You know nothing about me, but thanks for the heads up - now go do your research on spiders which you should have done prior to buying one...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Perhaps that came off wrong, however there are sooo many threads on this subject already on all the forums - I've kept a few over the years and they all exhibited some type of this behavior - some earlier, some later - some seem to calm down after time.

I will admit that I am in the group that believes "All" spiders got something going on - and with the plethora of info out there, one must make a choice to work with these animals or not - or even just to keep them as pets - As Ed Clark posted, he has made his decision and I respect that.

When I see new threads like these, it just tells me that the person has not done their homework - the potential problems with spiders is well known, and been out there for many years just a few keystrokes away.

While we see some ads for spiders that may claim the don't not show any ill effects, and perhaps they do not "at this time" - How many would be willing to guarantee that for the life of the animal - Considering your time and $$$ vested - I think you would not hear back from many of these people.

Buyer beware as the potential is there, and it's been well documented publicly for years...
I don't disagree with this, however it suggests that everybody that might buy a spider has wandered enough forums to be be aware of it. Believe it or not, there are still a lot of buyers that don't know...and a lot of sellers that don't disclose the information. If one doesn't know about the problem, how would he know to search for it??
While some degree of neurologic dysfunction may be linked to the trait, there ARE degrees; and a slight pre-strike tremor is a much different thing than a twisting, contorted animal. Your initial statement seemed to suggest that as long as it ate and grew, all was well.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
Mike P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I don't disagree with this, however it suggests that everybody that might buy a spider has wandered enough forums to be be aware of it. Believe it or not, there are still a lot of buyers that don't know...and a lot of sellers that don't disclose the information. If one doesn't know about the problem, how would he know to search for it??
While some degree of neurologic dysfunction may be linked to the trait, there ARE degrees; and a slight pre-strike tremor is a much different thing than a twisting, contorted animal. Your initial statement seemed to suggest that as long as it ate and grew, all was well.
Assuming "Yeah I know" that all buyers did their homework, and would ask questions of the seller, it should be common knowledge - As to sellers not disclosing it up front, well that's shady - But than again the sellers animal may not be exhibiting the behavior at that point in time - but the potential is always there.

If an animal eats and thrives, it has a right to life IMO - Whether it is bred or not is in the keepers hands - I've read in some forums that spiders exhibiting this behaviour should be culled - Now that is a bit extreme for me to swallow - Again it's a living thriving animal that has a right to life - perhaps just a little more special than others.

I don't think that they "the spiders" fall into any kind of a special needs category - They thrive just as well as the next snake in the rack...

Off to work with me

Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #15
Miss Tuniwha
anyone that buys one in a pet store.. they aren't going to be informed of the possible issues.

just throwing that out there.. that pet stores just sell the pretty snakes.. very few really go into any detail, .. barely even tell people how to set them up it seems.

Only reason I know of the possibility, is I am on here.. otherwise I would have no clue

Old 11-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post

I don't think that they "the spiders" fall into any kind of a special needs category - They thrive just as well as the next snake in the rack...
They do well eating, growing and reproducing.

I produced many spiders and crosses with them and what I seen was shocking. both hatchlings and adult spiders twisting and contorting and also crawling on their backs. this can de observed at night when they are active.

Anyone that says their spiders do not have this has not seen it yet or are just fooling their selves. ALL SPIDERS HAVE THIS CONDITION.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post

Dont believe all the hype that some try to say about the spiders, that ALL of them have it, its not proven yet. I know quite a few people personally that produce them and they dont wobble.
That is a bold statement and its also an uninformed one as well.

Almost all of the breeders that produce Spiders in numbers agree that these have major problems. Im talking about the biggest names in the business.

Early on it was hid by alot of breeders, too many people have seen it and it can no longer be hidden or lied about. ITS THERE!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #18
JeffFlanagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
They do well eating, growing and reproducing.

I produced many spiders and crosses with them and what I seen was shocking. both hatchlings and adult spiders twisting and contorting and also crawling on their backs. this can de observed at night when they are active.

Anyone that says their spiders do not have this has not seen it yet or are just fooling their selves. ALL SPIDERS HAVE THIS CONDITION.
All spiders may have some wobble at some point in their lives, but I've seen nothing to indicate that they all have a condition like you describe.
As far as I've seen, the corkscrewing and IBD-like symptoms are the rare severe cases of the spider defect.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFlanagan View Post
All spiders may have some wobble at some point in their lives.
Thats true and for anyone to say they dont is just plain silly.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #20
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
That is a bold statement and its also an uninformed one as well.

Almost all of the breeders that produce Spiders in numbers agree that these have major problems. Im talking about the biggest names in the business.
Producing spiders IN NUMBERS is a key part of your sentence there, Ed. Just because those who produce mass quantities of them see it regularly, doesn't mean that there aren't spiders out there who do NOT show it. And if perhaps selective breeding were applied, there is a chance that it could be reduced....or maybe it can't. But that goes back to that whole perceived need for mass quantities. Too few are taking the time to even attempt to try.

To say that there is no possibility of any spider out there not showing the wobble, especially to the extreme you have described, is the silly (read:ignorant) statement.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!