Bumps on the pups legs? What is biting them? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Bumps on the pups legs? What is biting them?

I’ve got two LGD pups in the pasture with the goats. A 7 month Great Pyr named Tater and a 4 month Anatolian Shepherd named Cricket. The pups are doing fine for the most part~ have all their shots and are on monthly flea/tick/heartworm meds. I’ve spent so much money at the vet lately I’m kind of hoping y’all can help me figure this one out without another trip to the vet.

About two weeks ago I found Cricket limping on her right front leg. I checked and could find no injury. The next day a small “bump” came up on her right front foot. I assumed she had been stung by a bee or a wasp and would be fine as she was no longer limping. But the bump is not getting any better. It’s getting larger~ and looks like a wart more than a blister or anything. I’ve been watching it trying to decide if I need to make a vet visit. She licks at it some and I suspected that’s why she wasn’t getting better very fast~ but putting a cone on her out in the pasture didn’t really sound like a good idea so I’ve just been spraying it with Blue Kote pretty much every day.

Well today I noticed Tater has a very similar wart looking thing on the back of his left rear knee. It’s not all red and it is smaller (I couldn’t get a clear pic of it) but it is definitely there and looks like a wart.

That’s when I realized that about a month ago Tater was out in that pasture when he started to screaming like he was being murdered. I ran out to him and all I could find was a tiny spot of blood on the back of that left rear knee and I figured he had probably gotten pegged by a rock or something (I was mowing at the time~ about 25 feet from him but sometimes a little rock can really fly!) He seamed fine and I didn’t notice any other problem with him until I noticed the wart like thing on that same spot this morning. Doesn’t look like it hurts him and he’s not limping at all. Whatever it is~ it’s very similar to whatever it is on Crickets front foot.

What could be biting or stinging the dogs and causing a bump that looks like a wart to come up?
I’ve seen (and been stung by!) red wasps in that pasture~ but I’ve not gotten a bump like that. Could a bumble bee cause that reaction? Or some other bug out there? There must be snakes out there but I’ve never seen any of them and it doesn’t look like a snake bite to me.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
Ringworm Cheryl?

Adding, You can get it too, so WASH UP GOOD.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Miss Tuniwha
thats what I was wondering too

Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I didn't think ring worm caused a raised bump. I'm gonna look it up now~ thanks for the suggestion

Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Miss Tuniwha
yup, just had a kitten at work (work with adoption group) got scabs, bumps, nasty sores.. they said it was just from fighting too much.. nope.. ringworm.. which is contaigous.

if you got a black light.. use it.. ring worm will stand out when under a black light..

Old 09-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
No~ I'm pretty sure not ring worm. It's hard to tell from the poor pics I take~ but these are raised quite a bit~ really just like a wart~ quite high off the skin actually too. That one on Crickets foot looks flat in the pic~ but it is raised at least as tall as an M&M would be if I set it on her foot

Old 09-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post
if you got a black light.. use it.. ring worm will stand out when under a black light..
i didnt know that. Interesting to know!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
i didnt know that. Interesting to know!
yup I just learned that too.. we had to take the blacklight on ourselves, since we handle the animals.. if I remember, it glowed pretty much where the fungus was.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I have a blacklight..........
somewhere (have I seen it in the year since we moved here?)
If I can find it I'll check out the bumps tonight when its dark and see if they glow. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM View Post
I have a blacklight..........
somewhere (have I seen it in the year since we moved here?)
If I can find it I'll check out the bumps tonight when its dark and see if they glow. Thanks!
cant hurt right?

is it spreading? itching? anything like that? like a food allergy?? or more like a bug bite??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!