Broken Flash.... Hopefully saved snake. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Mooing Tricycle
Broken Flash.... Hopefully saved snake.

Well i just spent the last 20-30 minutes trying to free my Xenopeltis unicolor ( sunbeam snake ) from the hole in the pop up lens of my Canon Digital Rebel Xt.

I was just going to take some simple pics of him, no biggie right? I was holding him... and... he is kinda zoomy to begin with. Well i was wearing the camera and, he zoomed... to me. im a big dark object, he just wanted to hide.

Lo and behold he has gone right through the camera flash, and could not go further. Before i had much time to react, i managed to mostly stop him from going further. But. of course. He was stuck. and good.

I struggled with my now thrashing snake to restrain him, and prevent him from further hurting himself, and getting even more stuck, or... damaged, from trying to squeeze through the rest of the flash... I wouldnt let him do that, because i knew it was far too small for him and he would hurt himself that way. I tried to flatten his scales and gently and slowly work him out, but he kept fighting me, and i wasnt getting anywhere with him. He wanted to go FORWARD. i wanted him to go BACKWARD, scales dont help me with this at all, either.

So. after struggling with him for a while, trying to keep him calm, and trying to keep him from thrashing around, and me trying to keep ME calm, i give up and just break the flash. He was starting to get tired, and that was starting to make me scared that he wasnt getting oxygen, or....something.....that is probably a stupid thought, but i was nervous fo rhim, and he was really stressed out.

Crack.

Flash is broken, but i still have to rip it out of its holes that hold it in. so i get one side out, and loose... and let him crawl through the rest of the way.

He seems fine. No bleeding, and he was eager enough to go bury in his substrate and get the heck away from ME. But god. What a stressful experience for him.

Im just shaking my head at myself.

Now... i have no flash on my camera...... This just sucks. Poor fella.....

Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Uroboros
A flash is a material thing. A life is a life no better (or worse) than my own.

WTG

Old 03-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHerpinator View Post
A flash is a material thing. A life is a life no better (or worse) than my own.

WTG

Thats what i figured. I can always fix the flash. i cant fix my beautiful Xeno........

I just hope he wont be so stressed from this. I just checked him really quick, because im paranoid and cant see the vet RIGHT now if he looked like something wasnt right, and other than a little redness, he really looks fine. ( and acts it ) Im going to check on him in the morning, and call the vet to see if there is anything i can do for him.... or should do for him.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Tiger Lilly
omg...ive never heard of something like that happening!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
TattooLost
"I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. Deville!"

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
omg...ive never heard of something like that happening!
Yeah me either.....lol

Hes looking great this morning, no redness or any swelling or any sort of discoloration or abrasions, so i think he will be just fine.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooLost View Post
"I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. Deville!"

Teaches me that i shouldn't bother taking pictures of him..... He REALLY hates my camera!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Miss Tuniwha
wow Alicia.. just.. wow

Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
TheFragginDragon
Note to self....Macro and Xeno don't mix! WHEW!!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Tiger Lilly
Glad to hear that he appears to be fine--that would've made for an interesting photo if it hadn't been an emergency situation! Flash is overrated anyway...I've got one bp that will always strike at the camera when the flash goes off. Strange critters, eh?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!