Need some input about advertising...... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2002, 04:28 PM   #1
WebSlave
Need some input about advertising......

OK, I admit this has been bothering me quite a bit.

Traffic has been increasing on this site steadily and it has now reached the point with the number of advertisers present that 100,000 impressions will last between 33 and 35 days. I believe that it has reached the point where it is now just too expensive for most people to be paying that much for advertising.

Currently this boils down to new advertisers having to pay $75 per month, and current advertisers paying $50 per month. When traffic was lower, it was not all that bad when 100,000 impressions was lasting for a good two months. I would pretty much need to double the number of advertisers to bring this back into a bimonthly billing for everyone.

The whole intent of me selling advertising was for help from those inclined to give a hand supporting this site. I have no illusions of making a living off of this site, and I honestly want this to be as trouble free and worry free as possible, as long as I have the money coming in from advertisers/supporters that I don't have to take money for the bills I need to pay out of my own pocket.

I am now working on getting a new server that will have roughly 6 times the bandwidth available of my current server, and should take the problem extra charges off my shoulders for quite a while. So I think at this point I need to completely change how I charge for advertising.

What I am thinking about doing is hopefully very simple. I will determine what it COSTS me monthly to maintain this site, plus pad a little bit to help pay back the expenses I have taken out of my pocket in the past. I will then divide this expense by the number of advertisers and will charge PER MONTH (or could I charge QUARTERLY?) for advertising fees. With the number of advertisers I have now, I believe that $25 PER MONTH will be fair and will be MUCH cheaper than the current charge per 100,000 impressions.

I kind of liked the idea of the impressions, since advertisers were actually paying for the number of times their ad was actually viewed, but it's too volatile of a way to predict how long their ad will last. And most people seem more inclined to have a fixed TIME their ad will be displayed.

Anyway, help me figure this out. What is best for you all? I'm just darn tired of worrying about this since it is quickly getting to the point where people will be dropping out of advertising here because the money they are spending on ads just doesn't go long enough for them.

Thanks.

(I hope this all makes sense. I got a migraine today and I'm certain I'm not firing on all cylinders right now)