beardy problem!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
sophied0
Unhappy beardy problem!!!

Hi all,i really would like your help!!
I purchased my first bearded dragon 2 months ago,it was 8 weeks old.i had a few probs with it not eating,then last week it went downhill fast! i took it back to where i got from and they said it wasnt growing as it should.they said maybe it was a genetic problem,so they were happy to swap it for another one and took mine back to care for it.(sadly it died 2 days later)
I decided to pay a little extra and get a citrus german giant bearded dragon instead.He settled in well and was eating the same day.the following evening he started having fits and sadly died.I took it back to the shop and they came to my home to check out the vivarium was running as it should and that all was ok.eveything was fine,but they did say that it might be because i have made the vivarium out of MDF.Apparently it could be the formaldehide content in the MFD giving off gasses which resulted in the death of the lizard!!!
Has anyone had these problems with MDF??
Please help!! i need to find out as i dont want another one if its just gonna die.
Many thanks guys and gals.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophied0
,but they did say that it might be because i have made the vivarium out of MDF.Apparently it could be the formaldehide content in the MFD giving off gasses which resulted in the death of the lizard!!!
Has anyone had these problems with MDF??
No, I don't have any experiences. Sorry for the loss. I don't have any firsthand information to give you but doing a quick search, I found a few links that might be helpful. I don't know the accuracy of the information provided.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mdf.htm
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-offgassing.htm
http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm

Looking at further information online there is also available Formaldehyde free MDF.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

What color was the lumbar? Was it for outdoor use? Some types that are greenish, are treated lumbare that can be treated with chemicals or formaldehyde.
I personally have not had any problems with that, but have only heard of toxins relating to pine or cedar woods giving off hydrocarbons if they are not properly sealed with polyurethane.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Old 05-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I did some checking on MDF, & that is a huge possibility of what happened. Here is a link for you to read.

http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/MDF/

Did you use any sealant & let it offgas for a couple of weeks prior to putting your dragon in there?

Yes, I did not spell lumber right! LOL

Tracie

Old 05-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Beardiepal
Thanks for posting.

I am so sorry for your experiences but we can all learn from them. Take care and know that I am thinking of you...Beth

Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
sophied0
thanks for all your help guys and gals,i really do appreciate all your help.i have managed to get hold of the supplier for the mdf i purchased.i am going to contact them to ask some Q's about the product.i want to rule out the fact that i am responsible for its death.i am a great all round animal lover and would be extremely upset if it was my fault.will keep you informed of my progress.many thanx again.
sophie

Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello Sophie,

Let us know what you find out! I am truly sorry that happened. :-((

Tracie

Old 07-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
sophied0
hi all,sorry its been so long.
Here is what happened......
I managed to trace the supplier of the mdf and spoke to a technical guy who said it was highly unlikely that the level of formaldahyde(which is 0.3 ppm)would have any effect on anything living.After hearing this i rang about 10 reptile shops in the uk to see if anyone had any experiences with mdf and reptiles.
Mixed views on this subject!!!!
I then decided to completely clean out the viv and took a really big gamble and tried again,from a completely different reptile shop.My theory being if another died then the mdf was obvoiusly a problem.
I purchased 2 12 wk old beardies 5 weeks ago and both are progressing very well so far.they are much more lively than the others i had, and enthusiastic about everything!! They dont wait for me to open the pot of crickets,they jump onto my hand to get the first cricket that dares to venture out 1st!!
They wait at the glass in the mornings eager for breakfast.
I am very pleased with my new beardies and i WILL be returning to the shop where i bought the 1st and 2nd beardies from,for a FULL REFUND!!!!!
Many thanks guys and gals.i will post again soon to let you know how my babies are getting on.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Drache613
Hello

Hello Sophie,

Great that you are having much better luck with your new 2 now. It was apparently a health problem with your others that caused the problem & not the MDF.
You could post some pics of your new ones too, if you want to.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!