Are they fertile?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
png_lovebirds
Are they fertile?!

My Beardie just laid her eggs tonight! She was bred exactly 2 wks ago.
The eggs were very soft and they were a light yellowish pink! They were about 1 inch long and .5 inch wide.

Here is a pic!

They are in Perlite.

Thanks!! This is my first clutch!

Old 06-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
png_lovebirds
29 people view the thread and not one can help me!!

PLEASE!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
varnyard
What do you need help with?

Is the Perlite damp? The eggs look very dented and off white.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
png_lovebirds
Well, this is my first clutch...so I don't have any other eggs to compare these too! I'm just trying to see what people thing about them...fertile or not?!

It took me about 2 hrs to get them to the incubator b/c I had to go out and get the Perlite. She laid 1 week earlier than I was planning! When I dug them up they were super soft and squishy and a light yellow. I was hoping they were just dehydrated, so I made the humidity in the incubator high to rehydrate them. But as of this morning, they are only a bit harder and are still dented.... So, I'm thinking they are not fertile....but I'm not positive.

I read that it can take a week for veins to show up. I candled the eggs this morning and there was just a yellow glow in them...

I'm not holding out much hope for them....but still have a little and I was just looking for opinions!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Bill
eggs

At first glance they look like they dryed out.. I would say raise the humidity but you have done that with no luck. Next I would suggest to candle which you did and saw no veins. If they are hard already you may be out of luck..IMO
Bill

Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
png_lovebirds
Bill,

They have a leathery feel about them....like they are supple but not squishy....does that even make sense! LOL!

I'm hoping some veins develop in the next few days.....a tiny bit of hope anyway!!

Thanks for the input!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Beardiepal
I don't think they are good. Are there 9 of them? Anyway you can keep them in the incubator a while longer to see what happens but they are awful yellow and dented. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much but do wait & see...Beth

Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
png_lovebirds
There's 15 total!

Yeah...not much hope here, either!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Cat_72
It is normal for them to feel "leathery", that's actually the word I usually use to describe them feeling.

However....to see them that dented in is not normal. I'm assuming you keep them tightly covered, as they should be, while they are in the incubator, so the humidity floating around in the incubator really makes little difference. Is the Perlite itself damp enough? If you pick it up and squeeze a handful, it should be damp enough to stick together in the shape you squish it into, but not wet enough to see any water drip out.

What temps are you incubating them at? When you picked them up out of the mom's enclosure, were you careful not to turn them out of the position they were in, and set them into the Perlite in the same way?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Cat_72
Oh, wait a minute.....the first time she was ever exposed to a male was 2 weeks ago?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!