Health question?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
hupababy_83
Health question??

Ok so I was on this forum a couple years ago, before life did the up and down routine that it's so good at. One of those downs was I had to get rid of my reptiles, although a couple of the ups are I married my first love, we have a happy healthy bouncing naughty baby boy, and I was gifted with 5 awesome step children. That brings me to my title. My 16 year stepdaughter was in ICU with Septicimia due to Salmonella (the Doctor wouldn't do lab tests) in April of 2013. So my question is, with her history of salmonella, when I do start my collection again, should I keep her away from the reptiles, or am I being overly protective and idiotic? I plan on a couple of Crested Geckos, a BP, and a couple RTB's.

Thank you for any help.
Betty Mae Anderson

Old 10-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
EmeraldBoid
I would talk to your physician about that, it only makes sense that he or she advises you on a patient he or she has worked with directly. That said, salmonella is transferred by contact mainly, usually with bodily fluids like saliva, so my advice would be cleanliness above all. Bleach the sink after you are done washing waterbowls, disinfect hands before and after leaving the snake room, if you handle your pets outside of the room, like in your living room, then spray the furniture with Lysol disinfectant spray after you're done, finally, educate her, just tell her if she's around the reptiles, not to eat, drink, or let them come in contact with her face. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
hupababy_83
That makes sense. I highly doubt she will handle them, she won't even eat chicken, eggs, or anything to do with chicken. She rinses all produce repeatedly, and packs disinfecting wipes everywhere. *sigh* she's borderline obsessive about not contracting it again. I'll ask her mother if I can speak with the doctor about this, it shouldn't be a problem. I just want to ease her mind, and let her know it will be okay. Thank you so much for replying, it's greatly appreciated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!