Info Ohiorats.com Rod Surber RatmanRod - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
jsmi983
Post Ohiorats.com Rod Surber RatmanRod

Just a heads up for those of you who live in Cincinnati or the area and looking at buying rodents from ohiorats.com or Rod Surber... His rats have mites and at times are heavily infested. They are also fed nothing but day old or older bread and supposedly eggs as their food. These are not healthy rodents to be feeding your herps. I have bought from him at least twice in desperation when my supplier didn't have enough of a size and they have had mites every time and they were underweight for their size. Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up. It's risky. He is a really nice fella but his rodents are unhealthy in my opinion.

Luanne S. Smith

Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Rainbowboaman
Quote:
His rats have mites and at times are heavily infested. They are also fed nothing but day old or older bread and supposedly eggs as their food. These are not healthy rodents to be feeding your herps.
Luanne,
You make this statement yet say you have purchased from him at least twice? Even after knowing what he feds them, you still felt ok to feed them to your snakes? The way this thread sounds, it seems like you have either had a falling out with him or he upset you in some way.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
jsmi983
Actually, not at all. The first time I bought from him, I didn't know what he fed them and didn't realize they had the mites because I had called him and told him I was on my way and I wanted them gassed. So when I picked them up, hewas putting them in bags. When I thawed them tofed, I noticed the mites and threw all of them away. I did not feed them. BTW, I am still pretty new to some of this. The second time, I was so desperate and took another chance. No one in my area had ANY rats and since my husband had been ill, my snakes really needed to eat. So I went and bought some more, this time live. I was in a hurry and just grabbed some. That's when I found out what he fed them cause I went in and saw all the old bread in their cages and asked him. He said he goes and gets it by the vanful. When I got home, I called a friend of mine and it turned out he was going to Columbus and I asked him to pick some up from the show, which I oredered over the phone and he brought them back to me. I checked the live ones I had and they also had mites along with 5 gerbils I bought. So we gassed them and threw them away again. There was no falling out at all. I took a chance and was hoping the first time was because they were all gassed or something and the second time was the last time. The friend of mine that brought my rats from Columbus had told me the same thing had happened to some of his friends and local stores.

The only reason I posted this was because I noticed that he started putting ads here as he hadn't before and people need to know. I did NOT feed any of those ras to my snakes. They went in the trash. In this area, for some reason, it can be difficult to located rats, especially larger ones. I have since gone frozen and I think my husband is happier about that since we don't have to care for the ones that are left over. Anyway, that's what happened for anyone that lives in the area.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Rainbowboaman
If what you are saying is true, that is pretty sad that he is feeding them old bread. Rodent mites are different from Reptile mites but I wouldn't want either one near my collection. The freezing will kill them but it sounds like the rodents are probably not being raised in the best of environments & getting good care to begin with.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
jsmi983
Hi,
Yes it is true that is whathe feeds them. He has said he gets a whole van load of old bread from the Butternut outlet and that's what he feeds them. Not to mention, the cages are so dirty as well. They are filled with old shavings and crap. It's sad cause he really is a nice person buthe just doesn't take very good care of his rodents. That's why I just wanted to let people know. Of course, thye can go and base what they see on their own. That's their choice but I know I will never feed them or recommend them to anyone. Like I said, just a heads up.

Luanne S. Smith

Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
RJBILBY
Ratman

I know he does not actually breed the rodents he sells. He picks them up on Mondays and delivers them to people and several Northern Kentucky pet shops on Tuesday and Wednesday. What does he feed them while he has them? I don't know. What does the actual breeder feed them? I don't know. I have only bought from him once and did not notice the mites. The animals did not seem starved or malnurished, since there was babies in the same box with them and were not being eaten. If they were malnurished I don't think these pinks and fuzzies would have made it home with me in that box. He did seem like a really nice guy, and I think I will try him again. Just my personal experience.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
jsmi983
Hey Rick,
Have you been to his house and the barn where he has the rats at all? He DOES breed the rats he sells and he does supply some of the local shops with his rats. That I DO know for sure and I have been to his place twice. It's up to you. I saw the conditions, smelled the smells as did my husband. You can feed whatever you like and it's a risk you take. All I did was offer a heads up. So all I say is just be careful and inspect and make sure. I do agree that he is a nice guy but his rats need something to be desired.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
RJBILBY
Rats

Have you ever been to any other large rodent breeders house? Everyone I've seen had "smells".

Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
ratmanrod
bull crap

Loran i have sold to reputable stores and others for many years with no problems.The last time you called you lied and said you were coming out and never even called to say you weren't.I should sue you for slander.I don't raise much here at all but just store for a couple days tops. i have two other farms you never been to.My guys feed Kent rodent food and organic corn .I have bread here at the house for my chickens and pigs .Don't worry about buying from me fruit cake cause you're never welcome at my farm ever again. Furthermore if you froze the rats that i gassed special for you then that would have killed everything .Thanks for being a backstabber and casting doubt on me.If any of you want references from any of the top breeders i sell to in Ohio ill pass their number to you . Ratmanrod@hotmail.com

Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
ratmanrod
YOU CANT RAISE AS MANY AS I DO AND SELL AS MANY AS I SELL FEEDING CRAP.And if my buyers snakes was getting mites id been out of business ten years ago..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!