Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman isn't eating !!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
OneOfAKindSnakes
Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman isn't eating !!!

Help! I got this guy 3 weeks ago, and he's 2' has been eating for the breeder really well, I know this cause I know the breeder, but I've tried hoppers a few times cause that's all he was eating before, the water is at 88 degrees almost all the time and he is secluded but I don't know why he won't eat

I've just dropped the hopper in and left it there and he won't touch land, should I try chicken? Anytime I put the mouse in his face he just turns and hisses and swims away

Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
amtz.zero
Is this the same caiman you're trying to sell in the classifieds?

Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
hadenglock
I feel like 88 degrees for water temp is way too warm, if you provide a basking sight with UV and a surface temp of roughly 100-115 degrees, then regulating his metabolism should be too difficult. Also 3 weeks may not be long enough for him to be completely settled in to his new environment, so give him more time. I would also try leaving food in there unattended, he may be more inclined to eat if he's left alone.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Vash1Shot
could also try live gold fish or cray fish then get it off live once its feeding well

Old 03-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
OneOfAKindSnakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash1Shot View Post
could also try live gold fish or cray fish then get it off live once its feeding well

He's big so i haven't tried feeder fish i just assume he'd have no interest cause they seem small but i'll give anything a shot, thanks!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
saltysteve
he sees u as a predator use small frogs not toads i ath them in the woods w/a net

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfAKindSnakes View Post
Help! I got this guy 3 weeks ago, and he's 2' has been eating for the breeder really well, I know this cause I know the breeder, but I've tried hoppers a few times cause that's all he was eating before, the water is at 88 degrees almost all the time and he is secluded but I don't know why he won't eat

I've just dropped the hopper in and left it there and he won't touch land, should I try chicken? Anytime I put the mouse in his face he just turns and hisses and swims away
whatever you do dont but stuff in his face just leave him be get ahold of small frogs thy jump around and they will help bring back his instinct to protect his home I have a 2yr old he bite me and ended up not eating do to stress for a month 88 is to high I know your raising the temp to get him to eat but he needs to use the water to cool down. I have 50 50 land water I use no heat pad just 1 10$ polonis home heater at night it makes the air humid and raises the water to about 80 in the da I use 2 300 watt heat lamps in 100gallon outdoor fish pond (indoor) but I raised the hieght of the top by `10 inchs to prevent burning him remember if u pick him up and he chirps he still sees u as a preadtor just stay out of his way and he will eat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!