question about burm eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
matt b
question about burm eggs

my female albino just laid her batch of eggs, i already have the incubators up and ready, but she seems to be doing a very good job at taking care of the eggs herself, and she seems to be holding the temp at between 88-89 degrees. so that seems to be good. this is my first time trying to hatch out burm eggs, so im kind of worried/nervous about them.
i have a few questions, first off what would you do let the female do the work or put all responsibility on the incubator?
next, i keep the average air temp in my python room in the upper 80s with each cage having its own temp control(lights, under tank heat, ect) so if i was to let her do the work should i turn of the extra heat to her cage since she will be producing her own?
and the last question if you remove part of the clutch from the mother will she still take care of the rest?
these are just a few questions i have so any extra input would be nice

thank you

Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
what would you do let the female do the work or put all responsibility on the incubator?
I have always opted for using an incubator. Sure, the mom's do it in the wild, and it is natural; but it is easier to keep proper conditions in the incubator, and it allows mom to get back on feed sooner.
Quote:
next, i keep the average air temp in my python room in the upper 80s with each cage having its own temp control(lights, under tank heat, ect) so if i was to let her do the work should i turn of the extra heat to her cage since she will be producing her own?
You keep the average room temp in the upper 80s???? Don't you think that is a bit much, especially since you have additional heat on each cage. Is there at least a reasonable temp drop at night? To answer your specific question, the incubating mother will be able to increase the temp of the eggs, but she can't do anything to cool them off. Generally, when allowing maternal incubation, most people I have talked to shoot for temps in the mid 80s (84-86). Usually, maintaining adequate humidity is of greater concern and difficulty than temperatures.
Quote:
and the last question if you remove part of the clutch from the mother will she still take care of the rest?
If you don't separate the eggs fairly soon after laying, they will adhere to each other...attempts to separate them after that can cause damage/leaking, so be very careful.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
matt b
thanks for answering the questions, and for the heat in the room it is actually the lights and undertank heat that maintain the the room temp, so if the temp source comes
from around the cage it would keep the cage warm as well as the room

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!