Friday night road trip... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
sfaoldguy
Friday night road trip...

Took the kids to town today and baugt some mice and crickets, ate a little pizza, grabbed some movies and headed back home... Pulling up to the house I had the idea to go driving so told everyone to stay in the van while I ran inside to grab a couple DP's and a flashlight... Since my wife had never come along, this was a real treat... The first snake we found was this young western cottonmouth (agkinstrodon piscivorus leucostoma)...

Haven't taken the time to get up close and personal with this one yet, but he looks to be between 14 and 18 inches...

Next we found the smaller of these two southern copperheads (agkistrodon contortrix contortrix) which I estimate at about 12 inches... These are some seriously beautiful snakes...

I didn't expect to see more than one snake cause it was a very short ride, I didn't grab anything to put them in... Left the camera at home and figured I would just put one in the bucket I keep in the van if I found one... Actually had this smaller snake in a paper bag (lol) and the cottonmouth in the bucket till we got home...

After we got home, I took the snakes over to my neighbor's (the guy that brings me snakes all the time) so he could have a look... Walking back to the house while carrying the other snakes and my flash light, I almost stepped on the bigger copperhead (about 20 inches) at the corner of his house...

My son took off running for the van to get my stick... Well, I hope you guys enjoy the story and pics... cheers...

Old 07-15-2006, 03:35 AM   #2
sfaoldguy
oops... forgot these pics...

Old 07-15-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
wot_racing
Those copperheads look great. There is something about copperheads appealing to me for some reason..

Old 07-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
RyanT
Copperheads are awesome! The ONLY hots I have a passion for. I don't know what it is either but they've always been my favorite snakes, hot or not. They're so easy to keep too.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
sfaoldguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanT
Copperheads are awesome! The ONLY hots I have a passion for. I don't know what it is either but they've always been my favorite snakes, hot or not. They're so easy to keep too.
I have been seriously thinking about keeping one of these but really not sure if I want to take the chance with three kids in the house... As you can see, I already have the cottonmouth in an aquarium and he ate a hopper last night right after I put him in there... It's gonna be tough, but I think I am gonna see if my friend at the local pet store wants them and if not, I am gonna hike a mile or two and release them...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!