Possible feeder mouse poisoning? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Promethius
Possible feeder mouse poisoning?

I am fairly new here so I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but here goes...

I have been buying feeder mice for my 2y.o. female hog from a local pet store. I have been buying in quantity and freezing them for 3 months at a time or so. When I tried to feed her these, even when the are fresh or still alive even, she would turn her nose up at them. I was really starting to become concerned as she had never missed a meal since I got her. She went about 3 months where she would not eat at all. I know this can be normal, however, the last time I went in to buy some more and try again, the store owners jaw dropped when she asked if I still had that same snake and I said yes. Maybe I'm paranoid or something but thinking back on it, every single time I would but mice there she would go back to where the mice are kept and whisper in the girls ear that was getting the mice out. Sometimes they would empty the bag containing the mice that were already selected for me and start over. I wound up going to Petsmart and purchasing their prefrozen mice and my baby eats everytime but if I put one of the other guys mice in she refuses. The last two I bought from there died within an hour of being brought home and immediately started to smell horribly. Has anyone run into something like this and if so what's the best thing to do so that no one loses an animal to something like this?(Other than the obvious don't buy mice there)

Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
AGoodwin
wow. I dont think it seems paranoid to me. I cant say for sure that they were being poisoned, but it sure does seem something sneaky was going on. I would see if you can get in touch with any other snake owners that may have bought feeders there.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Promethius
I'm just gonna stick with the prefrozen from petsmart. She eats sometimes as many as 3 at a time, the little hoggy that she is. ;-)

Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
David Dedrick
You're not paranoid, you're compulsively suspicious! ha ha... Seriously though, You may want to consider buying your mice from a reputable source. The two I order from most frequently are Rodent Pro and American Rodent Supply.

I get quality mice shipped to my door, packed in dry ice. (I'm in Texas too, by the way and have never had a problem with them being completely thawed on arrival)

Not only that, but it will probably save you some money in the long run. If you have any problems with your hog eating frozen thawed, consider some scenting with live.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!