Looking for starter tortoise to do well in Florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
saphire884
Looking for starter tortoise to do well in Florida

Hi!
I want to get a tortoise for my boyfirend. He has never had one before but LOVES them and has always enjoyed checking in on our native gopher tortoises that live far out in our back yard. I would like to get him one that doesnt get to big ( no more then a 1 1/2 feet) and would do well living on our patio( it is partly shaded partly open to sun). We live in SW Florida and it gets really hot in the summers. Typically it doesnt get colder then 50 degrees in the winter but if it got to cold we could always bring him/her inside. My ideal tortoise would trive in the florida enviornment with little help (we dont want to mist it 5 times a day!) not get to big, be attractive, and friendly. Anyone in Florida have good suggestions? I have been having trouble figguring out which "starter" tortoise would be best for florida's environment.
Thanks!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
I'd say given your climate and natural humidity, a Redfoot would be a good choice.
Living in that area though, most of the medium sized species would do fine there.
If it's going to be outside pretty much year round though, I'd probably avoid the smaller species.
Even with a redfoot, or other similar sized tort, if you got it as a hatchling, you'd still want to keep it inside primarily until it was quite a bit larger, or at least construct a protected pen outside until it got some size on it.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
saphire884
Also, is it possible to keep two different kinds of tortoise together? What would be two types that do well together?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire884 View Post
Also, is it possible to keep two different kinds of tortoise together? What would be two types that do well together?
You should never keep two different species of tortoise in the same enclosure.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Melinda
Keep in mind they will rearrange the patio! Yesterday I found my can of recycle aluminum halfway down the sidewalk and cans scattered all over. My wheel barrow was not where I left it, everything leaning against the fence or wall is knocked over and the patio furniture seems to grow it's own legs and move around.

And the output is a bit to clean up, it pretty much needs to be picked up and the rest hosed off.

It's iffy even having 2 of the same species in the same yard. I have to go out regularly and flip someone back over that has lost the recent battle. They can flip themselves back over, but it is very hot here and I don't want them being wrong side up in the hot sun.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Shadera
I second the redfoot recommendation. They're really personable little guys, and are fairly easy to care for.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Utta
Cherry headded red foots are cute lil buggers

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!