I'm having trouble getting my snakes to eat any ideas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
lrvoigt
Question I'm having trouble getting my snakes to eat any ideas

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this or how to get them to eat. Here's my situation i've been keeping snakes for only three years so i still have alot to learn and this is the first time i've ever had this problem. I have a female blood python and two female ball pythons. The blood python is around 8 months old and one of the ball pythons is around 3 1/2 years old and the other is around ten. I'm kind of guessing on the last one because she was a rescue and was told by the people i got her from (third party) that's about how old she was. I was keeping the ball pythons in a screen top cage i built and the blood python in a 1 1/2 ft by 2 ft sterilite container. I was feeding the smaller ball python and blood live because that's what they preferred and the larger frozen because she didn't care. They were all eating regularly until Nov. Then they all quit at the same time. I continued to offer them their respective food for a month with no success. After a while i built them a rack system and moved them into sterilite tubs so i could better control their temps. Three weeks ago about two days after putting them in the rack system they all ate the live rodents i offered. Med rats for the balls mouse for the blood. Now they wont eat again I cant figure out why. Their temps are around 79 F and they have an under the tank heating/basking area in the upper 80's. Their humidity stays relatively consistent around 65% to 70%. I have tried to switch them to frozen. I've done everything I can think of Ive used chicken broth, left it in their cage over night offered at different times during the day the ball's just run from the food and the blood just gets all huffy and wont acknowledge that its even there. I can't figure out what it is. To make things weirder i also have a juvenile jcp that eats like a champ and kept in the same area with roughly the same temps. Does anyone have any advice for me. I dont want them starving but live or frozen nothing is working. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Pmsayi
Ball pythons will go off feed around the end of November and usually resume feeding in March when properly cycled. I would start with your temperature. Ambient temps should be around 82-84. Basking temps should be 88-90 degrees. Bloods don't do well in cages that don't allow them to completely stretch out. The cage should be as wide as the snake is long and half as deep as the snake is long. Also make sure you provide a large soaking container for them. Jungles are garbage disposals especially when young, at least that has been my experience with them.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
lrvoigt
Yeah my jungle eats like a champ. Ive been checking the temps everyday and their spot on. I'm going to try again tonight to feed them hopefully it works. Their weight hasn't been going down much at all so i'm too worried. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
GreenCountryHerp
Wouldn't worry too much about the balls eating. They are notorious for going off feed for long periods. Just make sure your temps are right and keep trying, if they are in good health they will let you know when they are ready to eat again.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
amtz.zero
I had a Blood that didn't want to eat. I raised the temperature a bit and made its cage A LOT more humid, and now it eats like a pig.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
hhmoore
I'd recommend soaking the blood to make sure it is well hydrated, and trying to increase the humidity level in its tub. I'd also consider bumping the temps slightly. With ambients at just under 80, and the basking spot in the upper 80s; you've got a little room to play.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!