my list - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
killercroc
my list

i live in the pittsburgh area and there are many species of salamander,frog,snake and lizards that i have never caught before that are native.

snakes: northern red belllied snake,brown snake, milk snake and black racer, timber rattlesnake, northern copperhead
frog:wood frog, copes and common gray treefrog
lizards: 5 lined skink
salamanders: slimy salamander, spotted salamander, marbled salamander, long tailed salamander, northern red salamander, jefferson salamander

i have 2 creeks around my house, woods, there is a pond down the road as well as a lake, there is a field a little further up from my house as well. any advice on where to find these is appreciated as well as their preferred habitat and hiding spots

Old 10-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
BigTattoo
For the skinks and salamanders I would start along the creeks anywhere there are woods nearby. Look in leaf litter, under slabs of bark and under, around rotting trees. The milks and black racer check out uncultivated fields. A good trick for them would be to place pieces of scrap plywood or sheetmetal along the edges of the fields near the woods and creeks. Set them so they receive morning sun and don't be surprised if by next spring you find snakes hiding under them to get warm.
Having good habitat is one thing but you need to also have a good supply of prey items nearby.

Big T

Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
killercroc
does anyone know where i am likely to find the wood frog, and treefrogs on my list? And when the best time to look for them and other amphibians is.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
shane69743
wood frogs are found in the woods alot during the summer, during the spring you can find them around ponds and vernal pools, as far as treefrogs go spring peepers are always around in the early spring breeding. they are loud high pitched sound. im in north central pa. so i cant tell you alot about the treefrogs except the best time to catch alot of the amphibians is in the spring breeding. toads are one of the more noticable ones they have a long call. and ive seen them mating in puddles to lakes laying long strings unlike the other frogs in pa all lay clumps. the colubrids your looking for like pasture land that have stone piles in them. or early spring and fall times south facing rocky moutain sides. during the summer they move down to lower lands around water.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
20jasoncochran
I have a creek in my woods in maryland and a pond. The only things I find are water snakes and green frogs. No salamanders or newts. Wish I had some garters or racers. Or even box turtles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!