Good frog species for a beginner? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Araidia
Good frog species for a beginner?

Hi, I've been wanting to get a frog for ages and I have an extra cage with plants and a waterfall that's just begging for something to live in it. I was wondering what a good species would be that's colorful like dart frogs or red eye tree frogs and is easy to care for. I don't know to much about them yet so i wanted to get a good idea of what species would be good so i can do some research. Thank you.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
porkchop48
What about something like fire belly toad? They are colorful, active during the day, easy to keep.

Red eyes can be a bit touchy at times. And they sleep all day :-(

My first frog were darts, with proper research and cage set up they can be an easy first time frog.

if you have any specific questions ask away. I am happy to help/

Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Araidia
Well my dream frog is a dart frog but there's so many kinds, I'm kind of lost. I have an 18x18x18 reptology tank and i have other larger tanks i could use to. i have a waterfall filter and wanted to make a planted terrarium with a small pond area. Would that be good for darts? Which dart species are the easiest to care for and breed? How many should i keep in that size tank? The two i was looking at were D. Azureus and D. Auratus. One last question, it's probably a stupid one. The couple time I've seen dart frogs they were a bunch of different colored ones in the same tank. They looked like D. Auratus i think. Is it ok to house different colors of the same species? Sorry for all the questions lol and thanks for the help.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
porkchop48
What is a reptology tank?

The need a completely enclosed tank, No screen, all glass.

Azureus are the most common dart frog. They are relatively easy to breed once you end up with a pair, but do better in pairs. Females will fight and should not be housed together. Auratus are another good beginner frog but can be a little shy. But with a well set up tank they become bolder. They do well in groups.

For each frog you want 5-10 gals per frog.

No you can not mix the different colors together. Hybrids are very frowned upon in the dart frog hobby. When you mix the different colors, you end up with stressed frogs, potentially sick frogs and maybe even dead frog eventually.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Araidia
it's like an exo terra tank and it has a screen so i'll use one of the fish tanks instead. I have a 20g long, a 20g tall, a 30g long, and a 46g bow front tank. I think i might go with a pair of blue azureus. Would they prefer more floor space or more height? And where would be a good place to buy a glass top? Thanks again for all the help, i'll be researching a lot before i actually get some.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
porkchop48
a 20 gal long would work great for them.

Glass tops can be purchased at most fish store/ pet stores.

Make sure you get the hang of culturing fruit flies for them before you get them. As easy as it easy to do, so people just can not do it.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Araidia
I'll definitely get some fruit flies going. I already have a colony of crickets so they'll have all the pinhead crickets they could want. I'll have a tank set up and everything going well before i buy any. Do you know any good links for set up plans? I wanted to make a pond with a waterfall on one end of the tank and I'd love some good ideas on how to make one and good plants to put in.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
porkchop48
www.dendroboard.com

A consistent diet of crickets is not good for them. They need the flies.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
DragonsNDoodles
I would also urge you to consider a pacman frog, but you wouldn't be able to put plants because pacman frogs love to burrow and may uproot the plants. Also, they don't particularly like a large area of water and aren't good swimmers. I have a pacman right now, and I love him, but he isn't quite like a dart frog!

Perhaps treefrogs as well for a planted terrarium?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!