Bad Guy Metal Monkey Exotics - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #21
m00kfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kennard View Post
I will defend no one here. But I will say this. I don't give a rat's ass who your "supplier" is. If they fail to deliver, get your lazy ass to a pet shop and buy food for your snakes!
That's something that we disagree on. I and many other keepers believe that offering food weekly to a ball python that is off feed can condition them to refuse. While I wouldn't normally wait 2 months between offering, it's not much to a well fed ball python. It's roughly a difference of 150 grams from the last time she ate until now.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #22
Chris Kennard
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00kfu View Post
That's something that we disagree on. I and many other keepers believe that offering food weekly to a ball python that is off feed can condition them to refuse. While I wouldn't normally wait 2 months between offering, it's not much to a well fed ball python. It's roughly a difference of 150 grams from the last time she ate until now.
I am sorry if I misconstrued your exact statement..."the past couple of months would be me not having any rats small enough to feed her". Seriously? Dude?

Old 09-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #23
Pasodama
Even with the OP's initial post, and showing of partial emails, I came to the conclusion (semi-assumption) that the snake must have been off feed for, at least, the first few months.
After seeing the entire thread, of communications, I was certain that what I had concluded (semi-assumed) was, in fact, factual.
For the OP to have all emails, I cannot believe that it was not understood or that the gist, of it, was not noticed.

I, personally, would not have waited two months to find/offer feed. Even for a snake that has been off feed and even if I had to go to a pet store for a feeder rodent.
However, although there may be a small "ding", for this seller, I am not going to condemn him for not having done so.
Especially considering the snake was off feed and, in the snake realm, 2 months is not an extraordinary time to go without eating ... that is *IF* she would have resumed eating after the first 3 months that she had been refusing.
After all, we don't know when the snake would have resumed eating. It just happened to be that the seller did not have an appropriate size rodent, to offer, in the last two months following the fast that had, up to then, been three months.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #24
Chris Kennard
What is the appropriate sized rodent? If I have a snake that eats rats, yet can't find rats, I'll feed it a bunch of mice before I let it go hungry. But that's just me.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:26 AM   #25
Pasodama
What is appropriate size? Well, he said he didn't have anything small enough.
For example (not same exact scenario but a fair enough example nonetheless): If I have, let's say, a cornsnake hatchling, and all I have are adult rodents, I couldn't very well expect that hatchling to eat an adult mouse or an adult rat. An appropriate size rodent, for that hatchling, would be a mouse pink or peach fuzzy ... not an adult.

That said, Chris, I do understand your position. I would be the same way, as you, and would go out of my way to find something that the snake could eat.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:40 AM   #26
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
However, although there may be a small "ding", for this seller, I am not going to condemn him for not having done so.
His lame rationalization is probably as much of a put-off as the perceived indifference that led the snake to being that long off feed. Losing body weight is the point at which one really should start being concerned about getting an animal fed. While it doesn't *yet* look like an unhealthy BP, it could be argued that it's started slithering down that road. Instead of taking a drive and shelling out $10 for some overpriced pet shop feeders, he decided to just sell the snake without putting forth any effort to even see if it will choose to feed on its own yet - almost like he'd actively wanted to keep that plausible deniability in place. I just can't help reading into that. In my eyes, no winner in this thread.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:02 AM   #27
Chris Kennard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
What is appropriate size? Well, he said he didn't have anything small enough.
For example (not same exact scenario but a fair enough example nonetheless): If I have, let's say, a cornsnake hatchling, and all I have are adult rodents, I couldn't very well expect that hatchling to eat an adult mouse or an adult rat. An appropriate size rodent, for that hatchling, would be a mouse pink or peach fuzzy ... not an adult.

That said, Chris, I do understand your position. I would be the same way, as you, and would go out of my way to find something that the snake could eat.

The initial post here mentioned "rats". The accused admitted to not having "RATS" small enough to feed. Do you think that snake should be upgraded to squirrels? Then maybe cats...dogs...? Or do you just think I'm an idiot?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:38 AM   #28
Pasodama
Don't know what the seller did, as far as attempts to feed during the snake's fast, and I do not know what his true intentions were re. sale, etc., but I understand what you are saying Dan. You make a point and that is a perception that can be had.

Will add that two months may not be too long, for a snake to not eat, but, yes, it is a rather long time (too long) to not attempt to get something that the snake could eat.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:48 AM   #29
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kennard View Post
The initial post here mentioned "rats". The accused admitted to not having "RATS" small enough to feed. Do you think that snake should be upgraded to squirrels? Then maybe cats...dogs...? Or do you just think I'm an idiot?
Really Chris? Why are you being this way? You don't need to become snarky with me.
You asked about "appropriate size".
I would have to go back, to check, but, if he said rats, then I agree with you in that he could feed a mouse (or mice)... if he had them.
However, if he would bother to go to a pet shop or elsewhere, not only could he potentially get mice, he could potentially get an appropriate sized rat.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:52 AM   #30
Pasodama
BTW Chris, I don't understand what you mean by the following:

"Do you think that snake should be upgraded to squirrels? Then maybe cats...dogs..."

Especially since I did not mention anything about going bigger.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!