Half Dwarf Burms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 03:41 AM   #1
Scootter
Half Dwarf Burms

I'm just getting back into snakes after almost 15 years away. At one time I had around 15 constrictors, mostly burms of varying sizes and tempers. My biggest was a half burm half Afrock that hit about 14 feet. So I'm not new to herps or large snakes. A lot has changed in the last 15 years including me. So while I still love monster snakes I'm not prepared to dedicate the space needed to accommodate them once they reach full size. I'm never going to be a breeder and I like to display my snakes so rack systems are out in favor of large custom built enclosures. So dwarf and half dwarf burms really got my attention. All the looks and personality without the space requirements. I'm for it!

So all that wasted air above brings us to the point of the post. Who is breeding half burms? I see Bob Clark has a couple for sale but every other lead I chase comes up on a dead end. Almost like the more well known breeders all gave up on them a few years ago. One website is up and looks great but just dies after the 2011 season.

I reckon the Lacey act probably put the stops to a lot of projects just about the time they were getting going. Are there murmurs or rumors of anyone firing back up to produce these cool half size monsters? Is there a market for them or am I the only freak show that wants a midget monster?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
Krj-2501
Yes - the Lacey Act probably put the breaks on a lot of Burmese based projects. Now that it is legal to ship across state lines again - I expect they will be re-starting soon.

Yes - Bob Clark has pure progschai. He is asking about $1000 per pair. And I've seen a breeder(who is on this forum) in Pennsylvania who is selling F2 half dwarfs(50% progschai, 50% mainland) - for about $300 each, if I recall correctly.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:23 AM   #3
Scootter
I hope some of the projects I saw starting up before the Lucy act come back to life. I talked to a few people over the last few days who are convinced that we are going to see a bunch of Burms next year. I hope they are right.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Krj-2501
I would tend to agree with them - based on what I have been seeing at the Repticon shows I have been going to over the past few years.

As during the ban - I never saw any burms, or Afrocks, or anacondas. Basically any snake banned by the Lacey Act. Once an while you may find a few retics. But most the shows were just boas, and ball pythons fairs. But when I went to the Repticon in early July this year (after the interstate ban was removed) - there were lots of retics, several burms, and even a few anacondas. Basically the big snakes are back. While the Lacy Act didn't really hurt the really big breeders - that much. It put a lot of smaller breeders out of business.

While I think the mainland burm breeders are definitely starting to come back. I also think it may take a few more years before we see the progschai based breeding projects get going again. As most of the smaller breeders need to find new stock (often as juveniles). Then it will take at least 3-4 years for those projects to start producing.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Krj-2501
The thing about Half Dwarf Burms - is that while they are still likely to be quite a bit smaller than mainland Burms - they are also likely to be quite a bit larger than pure progschai Burms.

I have heard of 50% dwarf Burm females regularly reaching 9-10 feet/2.7-3 meters in length (basically about the same size as a young sexually mature female mainland Burm). And male 50% dwarfs reaching about 6.9-8.2 feet/2.1-2.5 meters.

By comparison - the largest pure Progschai Burms(which is a female) are about 8.2 feet/2.5 meters in length. The average size is about 3.9-4.9 feet/1.2-1.5 meters for about males, and 5.6-6.5 feet/1.7-2 meters for female.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!