White House Python Ban Petition - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #21
FLAherper
Really no offense but its not that hard. Someone needs to do a tut, and I will volunteer.
It pisses me off more people havent signed. If it was Ball pythons people would be tripping out.
Were falling flat on our face. and if people dont get this turned over, theyll come for your species to.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
GREGORY J HALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAherper View Post
Really no offense but its not that hard. Someone needs to do a tut, and I will volunteer.
It pisses me off more people havent signed. If it was Ball pythons people would be tripping out.
Were falling flat on our face. and if people dont get this turned over, theyll come for your species to.
Problem I think its the same petion site we signed last time I had to go change my password & resign up.It would not work on my home computer for some reason.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
FLAherper
Sorry that was a rant post and I cant edit yet. Just makes me mad.
We need to do a better job as a community to stop it, and the rants dont do anything. My apoligies.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #24
SPJ
You can't sign it as soon as you register.
You need to logout after you register, reclick the link, sign in and it will let you sign it.
I think people are trying to sign it right away and they still have it in memory on their computer showing they are not logged in on that page.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
Gatorhunter1231
Still not even 4,000 sigs--sad.......
Get with it people or the only thing we will have as pets is goldfish.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorhunter1231 View Post
Still not even 4,000 sigs--sad.......
Get with it people or the only thing we will have as pets is goldfish.
Eventually, those will be done away with too.

Rich, I can't believe that people who are members here would send you hate mail for mass emailing this petition to them.... Are they nuts?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #27
WebSlave
I'm getting a lot of replies from the email broadcast I sent out. Most are from people saying they have signed the petition. A number are claiming that they cannot register on the White House site and/or sign the petition.

Some are downright negative. I found this one particularly telling about what is fundamentally wrong with this industry:
Quote:

On 1/23/2012 9:48 PM, Kerry Kriger wrote:
> Rich,
> Someone forwarded me your email asking people to help overturn the ban
> on non-native snakes. Those snakes belong in their native country, and
> free in the wild, not in the USA and certainly not in tanks or human
> homes; and definitely not in USA's ecosystems where they damage
> American ecosystems and prey on native wildlife. As such, I request
> you rethink your views on the need to have non-native snakes in the
> USA and stop trying to override legislation that benefits America's
> native wildlife.
>
> Thanks for your consideration.
>
> Dr. Kerry Kriger
> Save The Frogs - Founder, Executive Director, Ecologist
> www.savethefrogs.com/kerry-kriger
>
> Save The Frogs is America's first and only public charity dedicated to
> amphibian conservation. Our mission is to protect amphibian
> populations and to promote a society that respects and appreciates
> nature and wildlife.
>
> Save The Frogs Day is April 28th, 2012 -- Get involved!
> http://savethefrogs.com/day
>
Basically, this gentleman is saying "I don't believe and support your interests, but PLEASE support mine."

Yeah, right....... "Get involved", my ass....

I'm afraid I felt I needed to reply to that one...

Quote:
On 1/23/2012 11:07 PM, WebSlave wrote:
> Are you volunteering to be on the first boat shipping out of the USA to remove non-native human beings from America, or are you a truly native American ? Are you supporting a merely arbitrary line drawn about what is acceptable as a non-native species concerning WHEN and HOW any particular species got here from elsewhere?
>
> And are you also against any and all types of former wildlife being kept as pets? Dog, cats, and tropical fish, for instance? Or again, are you being merely arbitrary with some definition of "pet" that is formed by a predisposed opinion based on the results you wish to believe in?
>
> I'm sure people whose own interests are at stake are going to be very much inclined to support YOUR own interest with frogs...... Not.
>
> Rich Z.
Oh, here's another one that is classic...

Quote:
On 1/23/2012 3:13 PM, Jason Hunnicutt wrote:
> I work for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. This ban is a good thing. You don't know what you are talking about. Take a hike!
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #28
Outcast
Rich, I am actually going to school to hopefully one day work for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service... I hope that I can someday move into a position to where I can B-Slap anyone who tries to propose stupid legislation like the one we are fighting....LOL

Also, Your reply to that Dr. was awesome, You should have attached that video you posted a while back about the spread of the Invasive Human since ancient times...LOL

Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #29
Gatorhunter1231
Can Texas break off to be its own country again with the ideas of the founding fathers guiding it. I would move back there in a hurry. Land of the free....free to go straight to jail for stupid laws that they pass everyday. Someday people will snap and it will make the civil war seem tiny in comparison.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #30
WebSlave
This is becoming an interesting debate with the guy...
Quote:
On 1/23/2012 11:19 PM, Kerry Kriger wrote:
> Hi Rich,
> You are correct, I do not support the ownership of pets; I support
> freedom for all sentient beings, you, me, your kids, snakes, frogs,
> owls too. That however is a different issue.
>
> We speak of pets that (a) in no way under any circumstances belong
> encaged in tanks far too small to allow them a remotely enjoyable
> existence, and (b) animals that we do not want in our ecosystems on
> the loose. While the snake pet lovers find it easy to say "RESPONSIBLE
> snake owners do not let snakes go" it is inevitable that many owners
> are not responsible, and furthermore, no house or cage can survive a
> catastrophic natural disaster such as a tornado, hurricane or flood.
>
> While your email speaks of many problematic non-native species, your
> email did not give any reason why large pythons should be allowed in
> the USA. It is hard to envision any scenario in which we would want
> them in the USA. There are so many unwanted snakes that people have,
> it seems that all true snake lovers would opt to adopt a rescue snake.
> Kerry
>
> ************************************************** *********************
> Dr. Kerry Kriger
> Save The Frogs - Founder, Executive Director, Ecologist
> www.savethefrogs.com/kerry-kriger
>
> Save The Frogs is America's first and only public charity dedicated to
> amphibian conservation. Our mission is to protect amphibian
> populations and to promote a society that respects and appreciates
> nature and wildlife.
>
> Save The Frogs Day is April 28th, 2012 -- Get involved!
> http://savethefrogs.com/day
And my reply...
Quote:
On 1/23/2012 11:43 PM, WebSlave wrote:
> How about this reason? Because people should have the freedom to have something merely because they WANT to. Or do you support the theory that "big brother" government knows what is best for us and should withhold such "dangerous" items from our immature little hands? If you advocate removing potentially dangerous items from the public, I guess you're a real whip when it comes to discussions about guns, fast cars, chain saws, and fire. Freedom isn't all about merely being safe and protected, it's about FREEDOM. If you wish to have government strictly control your life with their dictates, there are plenty of third world dictatorships where you would fit right in. Personally, I don't even have any animals any longer, but I resent the fact that a lot of people are having their love and interest FORCIBLY taken away from them by lame brained and alarmist based regulations. Seriously, exactly how much of the United States is at risk of having populations of these TROPICAL snakes becoming a problem? Why in the world should people in Missouri have their love and interest taken away on a national level, when this is obviously a LOCAL state issue that should be addressed in that manner?
>
> As for your claim about sentience in animals, I take it that you are a strict vegetarian? What are you going to do if you happen to come to the conclusion that plants are sentient as well? Hope the rocks are tasty.....
>
> BTW, I have had MANY, MANY snakes in captivity, and as long as you kept them fed, had fresh water and a clean cage, then offered mates during breeding season, they were perfectly happy with that existence. Have you even had snakes for pets, or are you speaking completely from ignorance concerning the topic? For most animals, being in the wild is not exactly paradise for them. Try it sometime and see what you think of it.
>
> Rich Z.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!