Breeding size of adult female boas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
mxracer4life
Breeding size of adult female boas

I have been discussing this with a fellow fauna member and we were both interested in your opinions. I have always believed age is more important than size. We both have females that are 4 years or older, and was concerned about there size before breeding them this or next season. I have seen hypo females on the smaller side, but my 2007 DH sunglow is no more than 4 1/2ft, between 6-8lbs. What is your take on a females size versus age, depending on species etc? I am personally interested in discussing colombian and central americans, including cross breeds like hypos.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Focal
Subscribed. I was just thinking of this last night. I've seen several listed as "ready to breed" and they seem rather small compared to large adult females I have seen before. Granted, they don't have to pass eggs but there has to be some fat to use, right?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
mxracer4life
I definately agree. To be more specific I am not wanting to know about females that are power fed to a certain size to breed. More interested in your slow fed, healthy, smaller sized females. My specific question is, should I breed my 4 year old, 4 1/2ft DH sunglow later this season or not (Fall)? She may never exceed 5ft at her size and age.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
jmwboas
I truly believe that age and muscle mass are more important than length/weight. Do you have a pic that you could post of her? I had a ghost female(5ft give or take and she is an early 07) drop the other day and had 15 perfect healthy babies, no slugs or still borns. I think that smaller yet mature (4 yrs and older) slow grown females have better litters(less or no slugs or stillborns). I personally would breed your female this fall as she would only be more ready at that point. It's always best to use caution in situations like these imo.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwboas View Post
I truly believe that age and muscle mass are more important than length/weight. Do you have a pic that you could post of her? I had a ghost female(5ft give or take and she is an early 07) drop the other day and had 15 perfect healthy babies, no slugs or still borns. I think that smaller yet mature (4 yrs and older) slow grown females have better litters(less or no slugs or stillborns). I personally would breed your female this fall as she would only be more ready at that point. It's always best to use caution in situations like these imo.
Glad you agree with me! I will get pictures of her tonight. She is in shed now, but if I get a chance I will take pics anyway. Just to let you know, she is a ugly DH sunglow, lol. Its what she carries that I am concerned about.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
mxracer4life
What makes this so hard for me is my last DH sunglow female was around 6ft, and most are around that size or sometimes bigger. Does anyone else have a smaller adult female that has bred before?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
jmwboas
The smallest I have experience with in terms of breeding are in the 5ft area. All of which had 0 slugs or stillborns and the rest were healthy babies. I think the genetics of the animal plays a big part to. When boas are "crossed" it becomes hard to tell when that particular boa will be ready to breed especially if you don't know what makes up that particular boa. IE Hogg isle boa being crossed with a Suriname, you don't know which traits the babies will end up with, outside of visually looking at them.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
chasebaker5
my buddy just got 2 boas from a lady a hypo het albino and an albino that were dec 08 babies.. they were no more then 4 feet and 5 pounds.. the female swelled up shortly after he got them and you can almost see the babies in her abd she is refusing to eat.. im 100% sure she is gravid based off sheds she is due may 3rd... we will see how her babies come out looking....... and if she lives... it wasnt his fault... just hope they all live..

Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
joshc24
Dec 08 then that makes the female only 2 years and 4 months old. If she is gravid I wish her the best

Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
chasebaker5
we watch her every day all day... we kinda figure she will die during
birthday... but you never know.... I know
he said he won't breed her for 2 years after this if she lives. I don't k
know why the first owner would put a breeding age male with a younger female. not so
smart.... we are prepared to open
her up also during birth...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!