#of snake vs available cages/short term problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
LISETTE1
#of snake vs available cages/short term problem

I have just received a couple of unexpected Boas and I have now have: 2 females not ready to breed. 2 Males able to breed and 1 female able to breed. So 5 snakes 3 cages all 60X30x24.

HOW WOULD YOU SEPERATE AND WHY??

Thanks
Mike

Old 11-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
How long until you get new cages?

I would seperate the 2 males (avoid any male dominance issues) and put the three females together if they are close to the same size. If the 2 girls that are not ready to breed are small enough, pick up two larger rubbermaid tubs for temporary houseing.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
Fantasy Boas
I would pick up a couple steralite under bed tubs to house the males and put the 3 females in the larger cages.

You can pick up 42"x18" steralite under bed tubs from Target for around $17.00
These work great in a pinch until you can get permanent housing built.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
hhmoore
First of all, prudence would dictate housing all the newcomers separately, and away from your other animals.
But to more directly answer your question, not knowing the sizes of the various snakes makes it ndifficult to say, and, regardless, there are a couple of options.
- Throw the 2 males and the breedable female in together, and separate the two nonbreeding females. The presence of another male can stimulate breeding interest. I have never bred BCI, personally, so I cannot address concerns about possible combat...though I don't recall anybody saying they had a major issue with it (unlike some python species)
- If the size of the breedable snakes make housing them together a hassle, house 1 breedable pair together, the other male singly (can rotate them in and out of the breeding cage, as long as you are sure all 3 are healthy), and the two nonbreeding females together (again, size difference may be a concern here).
- Purchase or make housing for another snake. House one pair together, and separate the others.

Of course, there is something to be said for not taking snakes you aren't prepared to house.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Metachrosis
Yup! I would start there myself,
But it only takes a few minutes to hit the store and make room for guest

M/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
-
Of course, there is something to be said for not taking snakes you aren't prepared to house.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
LISETTE1
So I am going to take the 2 non-breadable females put them together.
Then Rotate the 2 breedable males in with the breedable female, Weekly?!?
Sound good?
Thanks in advance for the advice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!