Lighting question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Marleysbeard
Lighting question

Ok so I went to Lowe's looking for something to hold a 24" reptisun 10.0 and the only thing I could find was 17 watts instead of the 18 needed and it was made for installation in a ceiling so it didn't even have a plug in. The only shop lights they had were far too big.

Where can I buy something to hold the 18 watt 24" T8 style reptisun 10.0?

Also I've seen a type that just has a plug for each end of the tube and no metal fixture or hood, where do I find these?

I would actually kinda prefer a fixture that can hold (2) "24 bulbs so I could have the reptisun along side a normal bulb that I could use to simulate daylight(something in the 5000k range).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! (btw the cage is 36" long so I don't think a 36" bulb would be appropriate but correct if I'm wrong)

Old 06-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleysbeard View Post
Ok so I went to Lowe's looking for something to hold a 24" reptisun 10.0 and the only thing I could find was 17 watts instead of the 18 needed and it was made for installation in a ceiling so it didn't even have a plug in. The only shop lights they had were far too big.

Where can I buy something to hold the 18 watt 24" T8 style reptisun 10.0?
I know Walmart used to sell smaller fixtures that would fit a 24" bulb. ALso try Home Depot?

Quote:
Also I've seen a type that just has a plug for each end of the tube and no metal fixture or hood, where do I find these?
You should be able to find these at any home supply store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc), but I'm not sure as I generally do not use florescent lighting and haven't for a long time.

Quote:
I would actually kinda prefer a fixture that can hold (2) "24 bulbs so I could have the reptisun along side a normal bulb that I could use to simulate daylight(something in the 5000k range).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! (btw the cage is 36" long so I don't think a 36" bulb would be appropriate but correct if I'm wrong)
Exactly what species of reptile are you trying to provide light for? Unless its a true "sun-worshipper" (beardies, Uromastyx, plated lizards, monitors, iguanas, etc), I would think one single bulb is adequate.

Also, how large of an enclosure are you using? There are many other options for providing UV lighting for herps besides the "old school" T-8s.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Marleysbeard
I couldn't find the "plug style" (no idea what they are even called) tube fixtures at Lowe's.

For some reason walmart had nothing but bulbs.

It's going to be for a bearded dragon. There are 2 reasons I want that second bulb 1) to simulate daylight for obvious reasons 2) there is a theory that if you don't have enough light along with the UVB then it can damage the dragons eyes. I guess the additional light keeps the dragons pupils smaller therefore letting in less UVB.

Oh the cage is 36" long by 18" wide and 16" tall and its glass. It's the larger size reptile cage they sell at petco/petsmart.

I've been on a mission for a couple months now to get it setup optimally. All I have currently is 150 watt basking bulb and a inadequate florescent UVB(only 18" and 15 watts). I'm hitting a brick wall trying to find what I need, even online.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Marleysbeard
Couldn't find an edit button on my last post.. Wanted to add that I had a Mega-Ray 100 watt SB and my dragon had eye issues. It was one of the new bulbs and I had it a good 18 inches from her but she wouldn't keep her eyes open. That's why I'm switching to Reptisun 10.0 as it's the most highly recommended after the Mega-Ray's. In my research anyway.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
LauraB
Check Reptile Direct (.com) - they should have a 36" fixture to accomodate your bulb.

And yeah, I wouldn't think you need two bulbs for the beardie. One UVB will suffice along with your basking bulb in one side/corner, IMO.

What temp does your 150-watt basking bulb read, just out of curiosity?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
Marleysbeard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
And yeah, I wouldn't think you need two bulbs for the beardie. One UVB will suffice along with your basking bulb in one side/corner, IMO.
I realize I don't NEED the second bulb but it will only benefit the dragon. They love sunlight and the brighter the cage the happier the dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
What temp does your 150-watt basking bulb read, just out of curiosity?
It hits around 95 depending on ambient room temp. Thats taken with a probe on a standard indoor/outdoor digital. We run the AC quite a bit in the summer..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!