Breeding size of boas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Stryker414
Breeding size of boas

Ok! so I hate to start a new thread but I went as far back as 20 pages to find this info with no luck.

What is the typical healthy breeding size of a dam? Currently I have 2 '08's (lipstick sunglow and dh lipstick) feeding weekly on large rats. They are just over 5ft but only weigh 7.4lbs. Any chance of them being ready this breeding season (11/12)?

I dont yet have a male to pair either of them with unless I want to flood the business with more normals, hypos, albinos, and sunglows, but I want to be prepared in case i come across a nice pattern morph male (hypo jungle/motley/arab/abby het albino ready to breed.

Thank you!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
mxracer4life
To me age is more important than size. Females differ in size in the same species let alone different species. Most hypo/salmons can run a little smaller anyways, depending on the parents. But 4 years old is a good age to consider breeding. You have to be careful though, forcing them to breed to early can ruin them for future breedings. You want to stop there feeding yearly so they can build up there muscle mass (more on that if you need). But generally 4 years old is when most females are ready to go.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Stryker414
So forgetting about this breeding season, when should I stop the feeding for a 12/13 breeding, and for how long? They're supposed to develop muscle mass by not eating?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker414 View Post
So forgetting about this breeding season, when should I stop the feeding for a 12/13 breeding, and for how long? They're supposed to develop muscle mass by not eating?
They do. Boas "grow" when they are not eating. There metabolism slows down during the no food period and there body starts producing muscle mass during this period. I generally start to slow my females down on there feeding in October-November, once December hits they have pretty much went off feed and do not feed again unless A) They are gravid, at that point they will get smaller size prey untill the last month, or B) they will continue to feed once I raise there temperature back up. Everyone has there different way of doing it, and where you are located can change this. There are times when I use this feeding-non feeding time earlier in the year. It basically is priming them for breeding season.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Stryker414
If I'm reading correctly, you would in my case, slow down feeding in October-November of 2012 (by that time she will be a mature 4 yrs old and hopefully well over 12 lbs)? In December she would be taken off feeding until she gives birth or I may increase the temps to aid in digestion of smaller meals?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Stryker414
Oh, and I do thank you for your help!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker414 View Post
If I'm reading correctly, you would in my case, slow down feeding in October-November of 2012 (by that time she will be a mature 4 yrs old and hopefully well over 12 lbs)? In December she would be taken off feeding until she gives birth or I may increase the temps to aid in digestion of smaller meals?
Yes, that is correct. See, in the natural world, when the rain slows down, the temps tend to drop as well and food is not as available, so this is the time for the boa to take all that conserved fat and turn it into muscle. Then the temps start to come back up and the rainy season starts and food is more plentiful, this is usually the time breeding occurs. When creating these conditions in captivity, some people will place the male in with the female as they slowly lower temps, some people place the male in when they start to raise the temps back up, everyone has there theory. The main thing is, re-creating these lower temps in captivity allows the female to take all that stored fat, turn it into muscle so she can hold and deliver offspring. It's not as important for the male to have these conditions, but some people do it both with males and females. Best of luck! Don't hesitate to ask any of us questions.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
Stryker414
Will do Jeremy, thanks! Maybe my girls will hit a growth spurt over the next 6 months. If not I will be a responsible breeder and not rush it.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
mxracer4life
I highly recommend you get Vin Russo's book off his website, it is signed and everything. That can help you out a lot. Always remember, boas grow MORE when off feed. Power feeding may allow quicker growth, but it stunts there life. Studies show that powerfed boas tend to not live much over 5 years. Also when power feeding, you are wasting money, as most of the prey item is coming out the other end.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Stryker414
I actually have that book, if there's just one. "Boas in Captivity: Professional Breeders Series". I also have "The Boa Constrictor Manual" by Philippe de Vosjoli. I had loaned them out. Guess I better refresh. Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!