Kimberly Rock - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Dean Pulcini
Kimberly Rock

Is there an easy way of sexing them? I turned mine over to see the scalation by the vent and I saw one small scale raised on one side. I know most being sold are males but I cant just go on that. Any suggestion would be greatly helpful. Thank you.
Dean

Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
hadenglock
i wouldnt go on the raised scalation alone. It is nearly impossible be 100% accurate on sexing a monitor just by looking at it. However, typically females will be more stout with thicker necks, smaller heads, males more lean, bigger heads. Again this is not 100% accurate, your best bet for that would be seeing a vet for possibly x-rays or endoscopy. You can also try watching him defecate to see if you can see any visible hemipenes OR hemiclitori.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Dean Pulcini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenglock View Post
i wouldnt go on the raised scalation alone. It is nearly impossible be 100% accurate on sexing a monitor just by looking at it. However, typically females will be more stout with thicker necks, smaller heads, males more lean, bigger heads. Again this is not 100% accurate, your best bet for that would be seeing a vet for possibly x-rays or endoscopy. You can also try watching him defecate to see if you can see any visible hemipenes OR hemiclitori.
Wow thanks for the great reply. The vet would be the best solution. I have never seen his hemipenis when I tried to sex him or her it crapped all over me and still saw nothing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!