how to fatten up a chuckwalla? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
skip88
how to fatten up a chuckwalla?

I just got two chuckwallas from a local pet store and they are a little on the skinny side. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on how I can fattened them up. I have heard of hard boiled eggs but I'm kinda scared to do that cause the are herbivours. Any info would be appresiated.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
rosebud945
Do you still need help with this question?

You are right that eggs and animal protein in general is not good for herbivores, especially thin ones where dehydration might also be present. It is too hard on the kidneys, especially for compromised animals and has been linked to kidney and bladder stones when fed to strict herbivores long term. Some plant protein is okay just to get them eating if it is in the form of treats, but even plant protein is probably not real good for them long term, and neither is sugar, as in fruit which should be fed very occasionally at best. You just need to get them to eat a proper diet (similar to desert tortoises or uros), and you do that by providing them with one and with a proper setup so that they feel like eating and can process what they eat well.

Are these wc chucks? How do you have them set up?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!