Is this possible? Australian Water Dragon & Gippsland Water Dragon Hybrids?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Physignathus
Is this possible? Australian Water Dragon & Gippsland Water Dragon Hybrids?!

In October 2006 I received a hatchling Australian water dragon. It was sold to me as a supposed male, which was not guaranteed because of course it was too young to tell and I just wanted one that looked like it might grow up to be a male. At only a month old, this water dragon showed a little orange on the stomach which was very unique. At 2 years old, I had my vet (who I wouldn’t trust the opinion of) telling me that I had a male, and the breeder telling me I had a female. My Australian water dragon was never fully sexable at almost 3 years due to its unique traits. He/she had a green/bluish body, a broken band hehind her head, and a bright orange stomach. Over the years, "his" body was beginning to turn a turquoise color with each shed. It was the most unique Australian water dragon I had ever seen. I was so confused, because the vet had said my water dragon was a male, and a hemipenis was sort of visible. I never got him probed though. But my water dragon looked completely different from my two males. My males have a gray/black coloration and have the dark red stomachs. The "female" however, reached 3 years old and never laid eggs, and the vet said that she was not carrying any last year around breeding time and that all she felt were "fat pads" on the stomach. I was going crazy because I had never seen another Australian water dragon like it, male or female. But I just realized something... The Australian water dragon has 2 subspecies. Physignathus Leseurii and P.I. Howitti. My water dragon showed traits of BOTH subspecies! I now believe that I might have had a hybrid. Nothing else explains it. I believe that someone aquired a Gippsland Water Dragon at some point that had bred with the Physignathus Leseurii, as I have started to see more "mystery" Australian water dragons popping up. I have not been able to find any that have lived to be older than mine yet. Mine was 3 years old and was thought to be a female, but never had an infertile clutch. When I placed the "female" with my Physignathus Leseurii male last year, they fought and she became stressed and hid from the male, so I seperated them and didn't attempt to breed them again. The 2 definite males get along very well, however. But neither of them liked the “freak”. A year passed. My water dragon started to become weak and listless over the past few months, but there was no medical explanation. The vet treated for parasites and said that it just seemed to be a "lazy" water dragon. But it only got worse until finally Wayne died last Sunday. I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out what it was that killed my water dragon. And nothing makes sense. My other 2 males (That look like normal Physignathus Leseurii males) are happy and healthy, and were kept in the same conditions as the "female". Now I'm wondering if the fact that it may have been a hybrid has anything to do with it. It would certainly explain why it had all male characteristics (such as enlarged crest, larger jowls, apparent hemipenis, and the overall body structure of a male) but had a completely different coloration. I feel like I'll never know the answer for sure, but if a Gippsland water dragon got into the Australian water dragon stock that would definitely explain a lot. Keep in mind, when I came up with this theory I was very emotional and trying desperately to find an explanation for my baby's death. So this could all be me just grasping at straws, I am curious to find out what other people think though. I'll post photos of my different water dragons so you can compare and tell me what you think. Did I have a hybrid or just an insanely gorgeous female?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Physignathus
Here are photos of Wayne at almost 2 years old. This is the one that I'm not sure was a female.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Physignathus
Here are pics of my 2 males at about the same age.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Physignathus
Pics of adult female Australian water dragons I found online.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Physignathus
Male & female Gippsland water dragons.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Physignathus
I wish I had more recent photos of Wayne, when you could see the turquoise color coming in. But it was the same color the Gippsland water dragons have. I would also like to state that I am in no way an expert on Australian or Gippsland water dragons. I am just interested in them. That's why I decided to make this discussion, because it's very hard to find other people who keep them and there isn't much related information online. But I'm not sure if Physignathus Lesueurii and Physignathus Lesueurii Howittii normally breed freely together in Australia or, if bred, do they produce sterile offspring or are really considered hybrids? Maybe their bloodlines are all intermingled in Australia and they just produce unique offspring once in a while? I'm hoping someone more experienced in the species can tell me more about the relationships between the 2 subspecies. Thanks for your time, if you made it this far. I know I ramble a lot. :P

Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
sugarcult699
Looks like a female and deff a gippsland broken band blueish green tint on the jaw goregous good luck ...i have a female about the same age you should have no problem breeding her with a pure aussie subspecies is just a slight change the animal with thru to adapt to a different location

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!