Snake Shed/House (not skin related) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
hupababy_83
Question Snake Shed/House (not skin related)

My husband has ordered me one of those 8'X12' shed kits, that you can buy another and add onto, type deal, for a snake shed. I have a little money saved up, to solar power it when the lights go off, (it is winter and we are quite in the boonies) I can keep the heat going. I also have a genny, in case the solar fails. My question is, does anyone have a set up like this? Pro's and con's? Yes I know I have to insulate and ventilate. Cooling system for summer, heat for winter, out side rodent precautions. I am not fully committed to this idea yet, but its the only way I can have more than BP's, per my husband. I could always get a divorce but that would cost more than the shed! LOL ROFL

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
BlueCrowned
I'm sorry, I'm just hear because I was super thrown off by "Snake Shed (not skin related)"

Old 12-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Helenthereef
We use solar for water heating and casual lighting (i.e back up lanterns) and I'm a fan. If it were our own house and not a rental, I'd be converting more.

Newer panels can work on daylight, don't even need strong sunlight, so are much more adaptable to northern climates than they used to be, but you are wise to have a back up generator - on cold days you might not get enough.

Batteries should be your largest purchase - don't scrimp, and be ready for replacing them every 5 years or so. (Although I believe the new Tesla batteries are a game changer - not available where I am, but I'd look into them if you can).

Old 12-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
hupababy_83
Thanks Helen. What about window placement? Should I allow for a lot of natural light or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
JColt
I have had a plan like this for awhile now. You want well insulated, Minimal windows. Solar fine but will need back up generator.

A wall Heater/Air conditioner with back up plan. I would like to have it set up where I can get temps on my phone and text message if heat/cool go past temp set. I live in Ohio. Could you imagine the death rate if power and generator failed at 1 am in January?

Any windows or doors must have good locking system. Any reptile thief would love to be in the dark trying to break in.

Plan ahead for expansion. Run more electrical than needed for one shed. Over size generator. If eventually running water to shed run now even if you don't hook up so line is in place for future use. Place outlets every where to minimize extension cords.

Figure out best placement for shed to take advantage of shade and wind breaks. I'm still about 2 years away from doing this myself.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
bcr229
If you're on Facebook and are serious about doing a setup for solar check out the group "Renewable Energy: Home solar, wind, and micro-hydro power. Learn/ask/post q". Unlike most groups there's a ton of great info and no drama from people who have their own small setups running.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
hupababy_83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
I have had a plan like this for awhile now. You want well insulated, Minimal windows. Solar fine but will need back up generator.

A wall Heater/Air conditioner with back up plan. I would like to have it set up where I can get temps on my phone and text message if heat/cool go past temp set. I live in Ohio. Could you imagine the death rate if power and generator failed at 1 am in January?

Any windows or doors must have good locking system. Any reptile thief would love to be in the dark trying to break in.

Plan ahead for expansion. Run more electrical than needed for one shed. Over size generator. If eventually running water to shed run now even if you don't hook up so line is in place for future use. Place outlets every where to minimize extension cords.

Figure out best placement for shed to take advantage of shade and wind breaks. I'm still about 2 years away from doing this myself.

Sound like we already have the same plan. Thankfully my Uncle is a license Electrician, and Father In Law is a licensed contractor. FIL will proof the plans once I get done planning, and Uncle lives with me, so I get a very good price cut on all electrical work. The kit my hubby is ordering is just the hardware, and I will be able to add on with another hardware kit. Cameras will go up for security, dog houses will be right next to it, padlocks (maybe 2-3)) plus Daisy my 12gauge. We live under the mountain, that means at the foot, lots of fir trees, madrone and oak, which means lots of shade. I really want the panels but I’m not sure how they will work in all the shade. I’ll post pics later and show you what I mean.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
hupababy_83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
If you're on Facebook and are serious about doing a setup for solar check out the group "Renewable Energy: Home solar, wind, and micro-hydro power. Learn/ask/post q". Unlike most groups there's a ton of great info and no drama from people who have their own small setups running.

One thing I have learned on the net, there is always drama. I used to get offend very easily, thankfully I grew out of that. I have seen people go off because someone bought their child an Xbox (or some other system) “you’re spoiling the child!” “You shouldn’t brag because some kids will never get one” etc. I believe I have even received it on here, and I was given infractions for my responses. Lesson learned.

However I am truly interested in visiting that page. Would you be able to post a link? I looked thru my home library and don’t see any book on solar, or other renewable electricity options.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
JColt
Here is that fb link Melinda mentioned https://www.facebook.com/groups/366516933388132/

Drama every where! lol. Just about every group has elitist's in it. I just filter them. WOW, Having easy access to licensed contractor and electrician makes a world of difference. No.1 thing is to enjoy the planning and building. Don't let it become a chore. I have a 110 year old home. I re did the front porch by myself. 9ft x 28ft with roof. I think one day I got flustered and I just stopped and put tools away. Next day I went out and problem was actually easy to fix. Probably my most satisfying project I ever did.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
hupababy_83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Here is that fb link Melinda mentioned https://www.facebook.com/groups/366516933388132/

Drama every where! lol. Just about every group has elitist's in it. I just filter them. WOW, Having easy access to licensed contractor and electrician makes a world of difference. No.1 thing is to enjoy the planning and building. Don't let it become a chore. I have a 110 year old home. I re did the front porch by myself. 9ft x 28ft with roof. I think one day I got flustered and I just stopped and put tools away. Next day I went out and problem was actually easy to fix. Probably my most satisfying project I ever did.

Ugh, we are redoing the whole house we live in. It was a party house for almost 30 years. Had cigarette hunk dripping down the drywall! I scrubbed it clean but it will have to come down once I get the money. There are to many holes in it. Plus the people who built it used cork board instead OSB board!! So we have to do the floor thru out the whole house! Already put in new windows, that had been broken out for almost 15 years. We are redoing the bathroom now, and it sucks when the temps are 34 degrees and the floor is missing!! Cabinets are to expensive, so I’m waiting for my book to come in on how to make them myself. We fished out close to $4000 just to redo my daughters room! Thank god my husband used to help his dad, so he knows what he is doin LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!