Venomous Snakes in Captivity book - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-18-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
BWSmith
Venomous Snakes in Captivity book

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I just realized that I never posted on Fauna since the book came out in April and since there are quite a few folks here looking into venomous consistently, I felt it was warranted.

So far, it has been doing great and has been very well received. Several hundred copies in 7 countries that I am aware of. It has been officially endorsed by the Miami Dade Antivenom Unit.

There are actually two versions of the book. The original is full color. But because color publishing is very expensive, I created a more affordable black and white version. Same content, just no color on the interior.

147 pages
76 photographs

Table of Contents:

Disclaimer
1 Introduction
2 Considerations for Venomous Herpetoculture
3 Housing
4 Tools and Equipment
5 Handling, Maneuvering, & Restraining
6 Transportation
7 Common Mistakes
8 Tips and Tricks
9 Venom, Envenomation, & Antivenin
10 Emergency Agencies
11 U.S. Federal and State Agencies
12 Recommended Resources and Reading
Bibliography

These are the quotes directly from members of the Miami Dade Antivenom Unit:

"This is the perfect book for the experienced non-venomous keeper who is looking to keep venomous."

"This is as well an informative book with a very thorough, well though out reference for the venomous keeper."

"This is a must have addition to any Reptile Library with excellent illustrations that's easy to read and hard to put down."

And a few other reviews:

"Venomous Snakes In Captivity, is a must have for all keepers venomous and non-venomous alike! It points out safety protocols and husbandry aids as well as proper herp room management. Very well written and high quality pictures. This is a book that should be in every herpetoculturist's library."
Scott Bice

"If it were up to me, you could not obtain a venomous permit without reading the book. "Venomous Snakes in Captivity" should be a part of every hot keeper's library." Ray Hunter

"This is one book that will most likely become a staple read for anyone who keeps any type of snake--not just venomous ones. No matter who you are or where you are at on your journey, this publication is a valuable--and in my opinion---a necessary, step. "
Nicole - New Jersey

"an ideal book for a beginner as well as the more experienced keeper, its all so fresh, it makes a nice change from seeing the same old tired photo's etc that you get in some books, and the information is all there, its a book that the hobby is crying out for .............. this book is worth every penny! " Wendy - United Kingdom

The only semi-negative response I have gotten was from Ray Hoser and his only comment was that there was too much emphasis on the dangerous aspect of venomous snakes. But as he is in Australia, he concedes that it is a different culture. Here in the States, you can go to some herp shows and buy venomous, often without a permit. So I felt it was necessary to not downplay the animals' potential.

I would like to hear from those that have read it on ways that it may be improved for the future (aside from a few typos )

Old 11-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Otter_23
Congratulations and I hope the book does well for you. Looks like a nice one.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
idioteque4444
Anyone who has not yet gotten this book...GET IT !!!! It is in my opinion one of the most informative books on the captive care of venomous snakes. B.W. Smith did a great job at not boring the reader, but keeping the reader interested while laying out just about all do's & dont's. It has alot of contacts in case of emergency or links to more information on keeping "hots". And don't be cheap, buy the one in color, it's worth it.

SAL RICCO
WNCHerps
www.imageevent.com/wncherps

Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Tim Cole
Thumbs up Endorsement...

I bought this book and was impressed with the information. Imagine taking all of the safety and handling tips from the forums and putting them all in one book. That's what B.W. has done. It made me feel good when I compared my snake building to his recommended protocol's. Even after keeping hots safely for over 30 years I learned some new info from this book. I have recommended it to people wanting to get into hot snakes.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:16 AM   #5
MiqeMorbid
I would like to check it out. Can anybody provide me with the ISBN number?

Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 AM   #6
KelliH
My husband and I were extremely impressed with this book as well. We highly recommend it.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
BWSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiqeMorbid
I would like to check it out. Can anybody provide me with the ISBN number?
ISBN: 1-4116-2949-3

I am certainly pleased that so many people are enjoying it and finding it useful. It is a little intimidating writing your first book.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
Dr Owens
Looks good Brian! It's about time someone wrote a good book on this subject.

I haven't read it yet, but I'll pick up a copy. How about posting some contact info, or a link to where the book is available?

btw...IMO you've done all hot keepers a huge favor by writing this book (lack of education/knowledge is what gets people in trouble...and when someone gets hurt it hurts all of the responsible keepers.) Heck, you might have even saved a few lives and/or limbs.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #9
Mike Greathouse
I purchased 6 copies of this book last week and I must say that I am very impressed with it. I do not keep venomous snakes myself, but this is a fascinating book nonetheless.

In addition to keeping and breeding snakes and tortoises, I also sell a fair number of books, and this is sure to be a top seller.

Well done B.W.

I am making the extra 5 copies available to Fauna members for $39.95 ea plus shipping. I have posted a listing in the "Special Offers" section of the classifieds at: Venomous Snakes in Captivity

These are on a first come - first serve basis.

Thank you,

Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Torin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
I am making the extra 5 copies available to Fauna members for $39.95 ea plus shipping. I have posted a listing in the "Special Offers" section of the classifieds at: Venomous Snakes in Captivity

These are on a first come - first serve basis.

Thank you,
Color me confused. That is the same price you can get them from B.W. for. Why wouldn't they just buy them directly from him?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!