FEDEX Standard Overnight Shipping. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
John Albrecht
FEDEX Standard Overnight Shipping.

Anybody use the "Standard", white Overnight Shipping Box to deliver small reptiles? Has this worked for you? I'm getting ready to ship a few small snakes and the box seems perfect for me. I used a hole-punch to put a few holes in the corners of the box and it looks like it should work. I was going to use crunched up newspaper as insulation and just bury the deli cups inside with a cold-pack. Any concerns I should have?

Thanks!

-John Albrecht

Old 05-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
John,

You mean no Styro lining at all? What are the temperatures on your end and at mid-morning on destination?

Regards

Old 05-13-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
I think that the less time they are in transit the better, I always use AM delivery and a styro lined box. The weather is nice but without styro the ice packs will most likely be not do much with newspaper.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
I agree with Wendy, that's why I asked. Then again depending on the current temperatures and the species in question you "may" be OK. You can put a liner of Styro inside the box in just a few minutes of work. Why taking any chances?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
twh49801
i often have snakes shipped to me..........

..........standard overnight to save a few bucks,but ONLY because i pick up my packages at the airport in early AM.to have a reptile delivered standard overnight is taking a unecessary risk and is not worth it (IMO).uninsulated boxes are never a good idea.the best insulated boxes are from your MD or vet,plus there free.have fun!

Old 05-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
John Albrecht
This is for 10:00AM ish delivery overnight. I've been assured the recipient will be waiting at the door. It's around 60 F at origin and destination is Orlando. I really can't imagine it getting that hot, even there, by 10ish. Even with insulation I think the cold-pack has minimal effect but it's so cheap it's worth the trouble. I think if it was later in the summer I would be more concerned. But I will be looking at the styro panels I have laying around to see if they fit just-in-case.

My biggest concern was the arrival of the box in an undamaged condition. I've used the service before with good results but not with live animals inside.

Thanks all for input!

-John Albrecht

Old 05-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
dragonflyreptiles
To me the styro supports the box just as much as it helps keep interior temps, you can take a box with no styro and step on it vs a box with styro and and unlined box will crush sooner. I get 6 sheets of styro at Lowes for like $7 and cut them to fit my boxes, its not worth the risk to me to save a few cents per box to not have it.

Standard overnight it by 3pm too, not sure how you will be getting that service guaranteed before the priority servive time.....

Also if the temps are on the 60's from you and to the destinationt he whole way, I woudl not use an ice pack! An ice pack on top of below 60 temps could cause them to get way way too cold!

I would ship them in a styro lined box, no cold packs and depending on the reptile you may need a heat pack at those low temps.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:45 PM   #8
John Albrecht
It's actually "standard" box, "priority" overnight shipping. 10:00AM delivery. you all make a good point regarding the styro. But it might not fit in the "standard" box. I will check it out though.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
Bill & Amy
I am assuming that you are not "certified" to ship animals through FedEx?

Old 05-14-2006, 01:19 AM   #10
KathyLove
I have used those boxes many times, BUT...

I still send them Priority Overnight so they get there early in the morning. Whenever possible, I try to convince customers to pick up at the local FedEx office in the morning. If they can't, then I remind them that they will only get a live arrival guarantee if the package is signed for on the first delivery attempt (if they insist on delivery to a business or home business).

I use a smaller, strong box inside the standard FedEx box for strength and insulation. AND I use either styro pieces or a couple of layers of bubblewrap around the smaller inside box for both shock absorption and temp insulation. Inside the smaller box, the individual (low type) deli cups are nestled in a padded envelope packed with newspaper so they can't move around too much, and it gives them even more shock absorption and temp insulation. Heat or cold packs are used as needed, although I try to keep heat packs as far from the snakes as possible, yet still inside the inner box.

It takes a little more time to pack this way, but they have always arrived safe (knock on wood) so far, and I think the shock and temp insulation is as good this way as the more traditional way. This way, FedEx does not charge dimensional weight because it is their own box, and it is free (at least the outer box is free).

BTW, my test box was sent packed in this manner and was approved by FedEx to ship reptiles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!