Snake Identification help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
jandsreptiles
Snake Identification help

This snake was collected in Nevada about 20 miles north east of Searchlight. It looks to be a Mojave to me but is darker than most I have seen. Please give your input.

Thanks

Joe Deavers
J & S Reptiles
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
collideoverme
It's a Mojave.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
collideoverme
Here's a link. They have a Mojave on here with the same color and pattern.
http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications...007/sp0707.pdf

Old 06-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Yep, it's a Mojave. One of the more toxic critters you'll run into out there.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
lnlexotics
These guys are right, You definitley have a Mojave, (some people are confused when they are refered to as "Mojave Green" rattlers.)
It will also have one of the most toxic venoms found indigenously to the US (preceded only by the Coral snake to my knowledge)
It's a blend of hemotoxic and neruotoxic venom, and the few encounters I have had with them, the are very volitaile and aggressive.
Very beautiful snake, but be careful with her.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
I've caught them in many areas of the SW where they are indeed "green". That's sort of a nick name they got due to the green coloration in some of the populations across the SW.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
lnlexotics
I was quite confused with the first one I saw, as she had very, VERY little green pigmentation, but I saw one adult male just outside Scotty's Castle, Death Valley, CA that was strikingly green in comparison to backround vegetation. At any rate, it was nice to see the pic, and the next time you come out to NV, try for a Sidewinder (Crotalus Cerastes), kind of hard for me to find, but the horned eyes and body movement is unmistakingly an attribute to perfect reptile evolution in my mind, at least...

Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
jandsreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlexotics View Post
I was quite confused with the first one I saw, as she had very, VERY little green pigmentation, but I saw one adult male just outside Scotty's Castle, Death Valley, CA that was strikingly green in comparison to backround vegetation. At any rate, it was nice to see the pic, and the next time you come out to NV, try for a Sidewinder (Crotalus Cerastes), kind of hard for me to find, but the horned eyes and body movement is unmistakingly an attribute to perfect reptile evolution in my mind, at least...
Actually did find a male baby Mojave sidewinder and a yearling sw speckled rattler on the same trip on the same road different nights though. Also found a large adult gravid female DOR on the same road about 100 yards from the yearling. She had a mess of under developed babies on the road dead with her. That was very heartbreaking to see.

Thanks

Joe Deavers
J & S Reptiles

Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
lnlexotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandsreptiles View Post
Actually did find a male baby Mojave sidewinder and a yearling sw speckled rattler on the same trip on the same road different nights though. Also found a large adult gravid female DOR on the same road about 100 yards from the yearling. She had a mess of under developed babies on the road dead with her. That was very heartbreaking to see.

Thanks

Joe Deavers
J & S Reptiles
That does suck. I live in Northern NV, and had never seen a Common kingsnake in 28 years here, untill I swerved off road to miss one, but by the time I got back to move her off the road, someone else had already ran her over....Never saw a speckled either, I'm glad you have been lucky enough to see some of Nevadas reptiles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!