Hurricane Irma - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 09-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #41
Dennis Hultman
I added another model tracker to the other post.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:27 AM   #42
bcr229
This is what I'm watching: http://derecho.math.uwm.edu/models/

Several of those models have the eye over the water as it heads north.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:30 AM   #43
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
This is what I'm watching: http://derecho.math.uwm.edu/models/

Several of those models have the eye over the water as it heads north.
Ah, yes it does. Thank you. How long have they been showing this much more accurate prediction than what I have been watching? Seems like the other models I've been watching are pretty much useless. Honestly, Connie is pretty pissed that those people can't seem to be able to figure out what is going on. And quite likely they are pulling in big bucks doing a job they appear to be incompetent to hold down. I wonder how many people have evacuated that it turns out they didn't need to, and people who now should have started evacuating days ago have been caught with their pants down? They should be VERY glad that I am not their boss.

Anyway, this is not good. I've been checking other models and they seem to be indicating a weakening of the storm, but that would be cancelled out for us as the actual center will be CLOSER. And I think being over water would likely call for a strengthening too.

Connie and I already talked today about the possibility of just jumping in the Jeep after packing a few things and bailing out westward. Hope for the best with finding gasoline. We can just sleep in the Jeep, so not too worried about finding a motel along the way. Can always park in any Walmart parking lot for the night, if necessary. As long as we can outrace the storm coming up this way, then that would be the goal.

On the good side of this, not too many high population density areas where voluntary or otherwise evacuations will be putting a ton of people on the roadways. The exodus from the Atlantic side of Florida will likely slow down to a trickle, which may mean gasoline supply could catch up with demand along the chosen evacuation routes.

I am certain we will lose power here anyway. As far as how long it will be out, that could be anyone's guess. I'm sure most of the resources for restoring power will be concentrated in south Florida.

Well, guess I will sleep on that decision. See how bad the forecast track looks in the morning.

Aarrrgghhh.....

Old 09-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #44
Lucille
I wish you well. It may already be too late to run, and the news says that many have already lost power.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #45
nickolasanastasiou
My recommendation would be to make this into a lightly packed road trip and go before you cannot go, Rich. Gasoline supply out here was exhausted by Thursday or Friday.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #46
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Ah, yes it does. Thank you. How long have they been showing this much more accurate prediction than what I have been watching? Seems like the other models I've been watching are pretty much useless.
They're just showing many models, not the few you have been watching. Also they only update every 12 hours where I think NWS/NOAA is updating hourly now.

If I had to run I would go west, as most people who evacuated FL's east coast went north into GA and the Carolinas.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #47
WebSlave
Well, there is apparently a jog in the track to the east, so I'm going to hold tight to see where this is going. I just don't want to see it moving west out into the Gulf and then showing up on my doorstep as a Cat 5 after strengthening the entire trip up the Gulf coast of Florida. The Jeep is all packed up and we can leave at a moment's notice. The gastank is filled up, so we could get 300 miles before NEEDING to find gasoline. I checked and the gasoline situation in Pensacola, which is about 200 miles from us, and things look good out that way if we need to be heading there. I'm feeling a bit better about the situation after seeing the projected tracks move the center of the storm further east of us. Yeah, I know that could change in an instant, but unless I feel we REALLY need to be on the road out of harm's way, I would rather stay here and off of the roads. Even with the center of the storm being east of us, the effects will stretch all the way to Pensacola too. So I would rather have tropical storm force winds and CAT 1 hurricane force winds HERE while in the house than while out on the road in the Jeep. But CAT 2 and above, I would try to get out of the way.

I actually found a website showing street cams here in Florida, which is showing traffic to actually be light all along route I-10. -> https://fl511.com/ So I'm thinking that gas stations all along the way would be able to replenish the supply without it being sucked dry as quickly as they can get the gasoline resupplied.

Connie and I talked about the potential of having the house destroyed by falling trees, and she is already thinking about the floor layout of the new house we would have to have built. Now that certainly would put a big dent in the retirement funds, but life would go on. And that gives her something to occupy her mind, too.

We already have windy conditions with scattered showers here. The power even flickered off momentarily.

We pulled the chimes off of the porch this morning and did all we could to secure anything that could get blown around. I guess I am apprehensive about the power going out too early and then we would just be blind to any changes in the track after that. I guess that is when my new fangled smart phone might actually earn it's keep. I have enough UPS battery packs and generators that I could keep it charged up.

Well, we'll just have to see how things go from here. Glad I stocked up on Excedrin from the server move crap.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #48
WebSlave
Looks like every bit of Florida is going to get hammered by Irma.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #49
Helenthereef
I think (hope) it's going to lose a lot of power by the time it reaches you, Rich. It's only over the sea for a short while, and unless it jinks dramatically I think it's going to spend most of the wind power over land before it gets to Tallahassee.

However I do see that tornadoes are becoming a real possibility, and I'm not sure I'd want to be out in a jeep if that happens... You're quite far from the coast I assume? If so you're proof against the worst danger of storm surge which, personally, would be the only thing that would drive me out of my house at this point.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #50
WebSlave
Yeah, we aren't in any sort of flood area, and honestly in all the years we have lived here, never seen it even get closed to flooding. Heavy rains can build up water quickly, but the porous sandy soils soak it up quickly.

Tornadoes are definitely a possibility, but I think it will be more of a problem on the Atlantic side with the bands coming onshore there.

We've still got power here, but not sure how long that will hold up once Irma gets closer. And with the number of people who are going to be without power in Florida from this, I'm not expecting power to be restored very quickly.

Connie and I spent the day putting bolts in the beams of the roof of the garage. When it was built, for some reason they only put bolts in 2 of the 4 holes holding the beams together. I did ask them about it, and they said it was spec. I talked to the guys who made the garage, and they agreed. Well, maybe spec, but I think 4 bolts holding the garage together during a hurricane will be MUCH better than just 2. So I've had the bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts for a couple of years sitting in the cabinet, and felt TODAY was the day to tackle that task.

Anyway, hoping for the best...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!