Hurricane Irma - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #71
Helenthereef
I agree. There are small resorts here that just close down for the month of highest risk. Why sit through it if you don't have to? (Although in some areas it seems you have to secure more against looters than the storm).

My motto is: better to have made preparations and not have a hurricane/ cyclone/ tsunami (fill in pertinent disaster) than the other way around....

Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #72
WebSlave
I checked the GasBuddy app on my smartphone and it appears that LOTS of gas stations around here are completely out of gasoline. It has improved a bit from yesterday, but it may take a few days for things to get back to normal. At least here in north Florida.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #73
James L
Well that hurricane sucked. Could have been worse but definitely had 90mph winds on my area. No power which has been a nightmare. It's hot too! Hotel tonight. Tried sleeping in my screen porch last night. Was nice until it rained. Hope everyone in FL is faring well.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #74
Helenthereef
Good to hear from you, James. What happened to your 200 reptiles in deli cups? In the hotel with you?

Old 09-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #75
nickolasanastasiou
This has certainly become unpleasant what with the continuing outages.

James, has your power been restored yet? Carl had his restored recently, so I figure you might have as well.

I am supposedly in the last 2% for my county and the last 1% for my service provider. I should have placed wagers.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #76
WebSlave
Yeah, it only takes a few hours for being out of power to start wearing on you. After a few DAYS, you begin to understand why some people in New Orleans after Katrina started shooting at people. You start taking it PERSONAL and feel a bit paranoid about why YOU have been singled out to not have power yet.

Heck, on day 4 without power last year I wasn't feeling too kindly about Talquin Electric people myself. Logically I knew they were keeping busy restoring power to others, but emotionally it was a different ball game. Quite easy to get a bit cranky, under the circumstances.

Hope you get power restored SOON!

Old 09-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #77
nickolasanastasiou
The linemen themselves are fantastic. Incredibly hard workers to the last man. The company representatives are...something less in some cases. Closing service tickets and telling people without power that they have it as those customers are staring at downed lines and busted transformers in their own yards. It seems like some companies appear to be gaming metrics. The people with lots of animals and a well system are hurting badly. I mean big animals like conventional mammalian livestock. While not optimal here, I can manage. I mostly have to be on top of keeping the dogs as cool and as watered as I can. I am probably losing some very valuable clutches, but the adult reptiles themselves are safe. Another matter here is our older community members. Some cannot naturally thermoregulate well (common with age) and cannot sense dangerous temperatures accurately. They shut themselves up in their homes (often with windows shut). Some have family to check in on them. Some do not. Those situations can go badly in a single afternoon.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #78
nickolasanastasiou
Back on. Woot! Quite grateful. I hope the residual slivers like myself are as fortunate.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #79
WebSlave

Old 09-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #80
James L
Finally got power yesterday afternoon. Lost on Sunday morning. It was brutal. And of course lots of geckos had to be born during that 2 day span of the hurricane. No loss of animals but maybe a few eggs due to the temp increase. My old house gets hot! Could have been worse for me. I expected it with all the hype. Definitely some intense winds and gusts where I live. Lots of big banyans down. Their beautiful but can't take very high winds. Super sad about the Keys. I spend a lot of free time there. From key largo to west. Not sure how that time will be spent now. Sad and puzzling. My favorite place to herp!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!