Share your Hurricane preparedness tips - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Share your Hurricane preparedness tips

Hurricane Irma is heading to Florida right now. This will be over in a few days but there will be more coming. Many of us have lived for years in Hurricane-prone areas, and must have some good practical tips to share on how to guard your home, possessions and family against storm damage.

Also how about some suggestions on what to do with extensive reptile collections at these times?

Let's post them here for future use. I suggest keeping them in a concise list format, for ease of reference.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
Helenthereef
So here's my start-up:

1. If at all possible invest in a small portable generator and fill several fuel tanks. It doesn't have to run your whole house, but a even quite small one can keep a fridge, fan, one TV or computer and one or two lights going, and that's enough to help a lot.

2. Fill bathtubs, ice chests, garbage bins, anything you have, with tap water. We have a 500 litre (125 gallon) rotamould tank we keep filled all year just in case. Also kids' inflatable paddling pools can be used. Water can be chlorinated with bleach (8 drops per gallon) if needed for drinking.

3. Stock up on cooking fuel - we get gas from cylinders, and keep an extra cylinder on hand. If you are all electric, consider getting a small portable barbecue and as much charcoal as you can manage. You may also be able to get fallen wood after the storm is over. Make sure you have matches/lighters.

4. Solar lanterns (www.dlight.com) are invaluable if your power goes out. Or stock up on battery lanterns/flashlights, batteries and candles.

5. Bring in anything loose from outdoors - garden furniture, pot plans, etc.

6. Bring furniture into the centre of the room, away from windows and doors. Stand water-damageable items on top of tables and kitchen surfaces. Cover with tarpaulins or any large sheets of plastic you can get, tied or taped down. Cover electronics in garbage bags etc. Obviously if you are in flood prone areas and have a 2-storey house, take all soft furnishings and electronic items you can carry upstairs. If not, unplug all electrical items.

7. Get masking or parcel tape and stick it in large "X's across glass windows. to prevent shattering if hard items blow against them. Draw curtains.

8. Leave at last one window at the front and back of each room very slightly open - windows in fully sealed rooms can actually implode from increased outdoor pressure. Keep mops and buckets handy, and roll towels up under doors and windows.

9. Make an emergency waterproof grab-bag in case of evacuation: it should include all vital documents such as birth/ marriage certificates, passports, credit cards etc, first aid kit, any medications you have to take regularly, flashlight or solar lantern, garbage bags, water bottles, snacks (granola bars are good) one set of warm clothes for everyone, blankets. House and car keys.

10. Move your car away from trees. Fill up with fuel.

11. Cook all food in your fridge/ freezer while you can, and re-freeze. Pack any empty space in the fridge/freezer with newspaper, or bottles of water. This will keep it colder for longer if the power is out (as well as being more water storage). Stock up on tinned food that can be eaten cold (beans, fruit etc).

12. Charge mobile devices, and back up battery packs.

13. STAY INDOORS during the storm. More people get killed by flying objects than direct storm damage, and a coconut coming at you horizontally is no joke....(although it certainly sounds like one...)

14. If you have a dishwasher, unplug it (and maybe turn the water off to avoid accidents if you can) and use it to store valuable documents, photos, delicate items - it's unlikely to move and is waterproof.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
Robert Walker
My best tip: Live in Nebraska instead

Old 09-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
My best tip: Live in Nebraska instead
You'll have to start a "Blizzard Tips" thread then.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
You'll have to start a "Blizzard Tips" thread then.
True. Blizzard & Tornado.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Sheesh, don't you lot have ANY disaster-free areas?

Old 09-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Sheesh, don't you lot have ANY disaster-free areas?
I guess the universe wasn't created with our comfort in mind.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:19 AM   #8
Lucille
For me, after having weathered a number of hurricanes, one important first step is to have flashlights, more than one, and always keep them in the same places so you can find them in the dark.
Surprisingly during the recent hurricane I did not lose electricity, but during most I have been through, electricity goes off fairly early on. If you don't have a generator or it malfunctions, it is important to be able to see what you are doing.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
WebSlave
When we had the hurricane last year knock out power for 4 days, the one thing I wish I had on hand was battery powered fans. Couldn't open the windows because of the very high humidity outside from all the rain, so it was down right miserable trying to sleep. I have two of them now, powered by 'D' batteries and supposed to run for 40 hours.

At least I fixed my Onan generator and that is ready to run. That would have helped last year too.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
bcr229
Put an axe in the attic so you can break out through your roof if your house floods.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!