Collared Lizard Info - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
ClairJ246
Collared Lizard Info

I bought myself a collared wanting to do some breeding. I realized that there are four different subspecies. I'm not particularly what kind I have, and it doesn't seem like the guy I bought him from does either. I'm getting conflicting info on the care for them. Everything does agree that they need space, which is fine. I'm confused about heat, and substrate. Could you give me the care info and identify what subspecies I have? It'd be awesome!

(I'll upload a pic soon my phone isn't coopperating)

Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
My experience is limited, but I would suggest a habitat similar to that of a Uromastyx or chuckwalla: desert habitat, high basking temps (100-120'F), low humidity, fair amount of space. If you are going to attempt to breed them, I would get at least a 40-gal breeder for a pair, ideally a little larger. These lizards are active and like to move around.

Their diet is insectivorous mostly, but they are known to actually eat other lizards. In my experience, they're not especially difficult to keep. But breeding them may be a different story.

As far as species, couldn't really tell ya without seeing pic. But remember that females are not as colorful as males.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
ClairJ246
Thank you for all your help! I found out he is the Eastern sub-species. Thank you very much!!

If anyone else knows anything else helpful I'm open to it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!