Iowa state law issues - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
Cat_72
LOL, still working here, even after cleaning out my cookies.

Ya want me to try to copy and paste the whole darn thing here??

Old 05-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
Bill & Amy
Can you try to paste the link again?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
Bill & Amy
I give up, I tried it in Internet Explorer and Netscape and it says "Service Unavailable" in both when I click on that link.

I guess I will try later.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
That is just the "Explanation" part of the bill and carries no merit on actual affected animals. There is no "ban" in effect, just registration. This is the only part that affects either on of us. It doesn't have anything listed that we have.

12 20 j. Fifty dollars for a member of the family elapidae,
12 21 voperidae, crotalidae, atractaspidae, or hydrophidae which are
12 22 venomous, including but not limited to cobras, mambas, coral
12 23 snakes, kraits, adders, vipers, rattlesnakes, copperheads, pit
12 24 vipers, keelbacks, cottonmouths, and sea snakes.
12 25 k. One hundred dollars for a member of the superfamily
12 26 henophidia, which are limited to reticulated pythons,
12 27 anacondas, and African rock pythons

Sorry, ban on new ownership after bill takes effect.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Precision Pythons
Ban on Culver's desk?

Hi Everyone, I heard through the grapevine that Gov Culver is considering a statewide ban on all boa/python species? Has anyone else heard anything of this sort or is this just hear-say? Any information is appreciated.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #17
Cat_72
Hmmm.....I have heard nothing about a complete statewide ban, though some localities have tried to enact such.

I'll have to do some checking, though I don't see anything that drastic statewide coming about, unless it gets snuck in as "fine print" in something else....

Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #18
Cat_72
Well, from what I can gather so far, there is no complete ban in the works, however the bill as proposed eariler in this thread did indeed pass. I'll copy and paste a portion of it here, though it is VERY lengthy....there are many more provisions and requirements that I'm not including, just the main points.

Quote:
"Dangerous wild animal" means any of the following:
1. A member of the family canidae of the order carnivora, including but not limited to wolves, coyotes, and jackals. However, a dangerous wild animal does not include a domestic dog.
2. A member of the family hyaenidae of the order of carnivora, including but not limited to hyenas.
3. A member of the family felidae of the order carnivora, including but not limited to lions, tigers, cougars, leopards, cheetahs, ocelots, and servals. However, a dangerous wild animal does not include a domestic cat.
4. A member of the family ursidae of the order carnivora, including bears and pandas.
5. A member of the family rhinocero tidae of the order perissodactyla, which is a rhinoceros.
6. A member of the order proboscidea, which are any species of elephant.
7. A member of the order of primates other than humans, and including the following families: callitrichiadae, cebidae, cercopithecidae, cheirogaleidae, daubentoniidae, galagonidae, hominidae, hylobatidae, indridae, lemuridae, loridae, megaladapidae, or tarsiidae. A member includes but is not limited to marmosets, tamarins, monkeys, lemurs, galagos, bush babies, great apes, gibbons, lesser apes, indris, sifakas, and tarsiers.
8. A member of the order crocodilia, including but not limited to alligators, caimans, crocodiles, and gharials.
9. A member of the family varanidae of the order squamata, which are limited to water monitors and crocodile monitors.
10. A member of the order squamata which is any of the following:
• A member of the family varanidae, which are limited to water monitors and crocodile monitors.
• A member of the family atractaspidae, including but not limited to mole vipers and burrowing asps.
• A member of the family helodermatidae, including but not limited to beaded lizards and gila monsters.
• A member of the family elapidae, voperidae, crotalidae, atractaspidae, or hydrophidae which are venomous, including but not limited to cobras, mambas, coral snakes, kraits, adders, vipers, rattlesnakes, copperheads, pit vipers, keelbacks, cottonmouths, and sea snakes.
• A member of the superfamily henophidia, which are limited to reticulated pythons, anacondas, and African rock pythons

21-77.2(82GA,SF564,SF601) Prohibitions. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person shall not own or possess a dangerous wild animal, cause or allow a dangerous wild animal owned by a person or in the person's possession to breed, or transport a dangerous wild animal into this state.
21-77.3(82GA,SF564,SF601) Continued ownership-requirements of the individual. A person who owns or possesses a dangerous wild animal on July 1, 2007, may continue to own or possess the dangerous wild animal if the person is 18 years old or older and meets all of the following:
77.3(1) The person must not have been convicted of an offense involving the abuse or neglect of an animal pursuant to a law of this state or another state, including but not limited to the provisions of Iowa Code chapter 717, 717B, 717C, or 717D or an ordinance adopted by a city or county.
77.3(2) The department, another state, or the federal government must not have suspended an application for a permit or license or revoked a permit or license required to operate a commercial establishment for the care, breeding, or sale of animals, including as provided in Iowa Code chapter 162.
77.3(3) The person must not have been convicted of a felony for an offense committed within the last ten years, as provided by the Code of Iowa, under the laws of another state, or under federal law.
77.3(4) The person must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony for an offense committed within the last ten years involving a controlled substance, as defined in Iowa Code section 124.101, in this state, under the laws of another state, or under federal law.
21-77.7(82GA,SF564,SF601) Continued ownership-registration fee.
77.7(1) The person who continues to own or possess a dangerous wild animal must pay the department an annual registration fee as follows:
a. $500 for a member of the order proboscidea, which are any species of elephant.
b. $500 for a member of the family rhinocero tidae of the order perissodactyla, which is a rhinoceros.
c. $300 for a member of the family ursidae of the order carnivora, which is limited to bears.
d. For a member of the family felidae of the order carnivora, all of the following:
(1) $300 for a member of the subfamily pantherinae, limited to leopards other than snow leopards, lions, and tigers; and for a member of the subfamily felinae limited to pumas, jaguars, and cougars.
(2) $200 for a member of the subfamily felinae limited to bobcats, clouded leopards, cheetahs, and lynx.
(3) $100 for a member of the subfamily felinae limited to caracals, desert cats, Geoffroy's cats, jungle cats, margays, ocelots, servals, and wild cats.
e. For a member of the order of primates other than humans, all of the following:
(1) $300 for a member commonly referred to as an ape, belonging to the hylobatidae family such as gibbons and siamangs, or to the pongidae family including gorillas, orangutans, or chimpanzees.
(2) $150 for a member commonly referred to as an old world monkey, belonging to the family cercopithecidae, including but not limited to macaques, rhesus, mangabeys, mandrills, guenons, patas monkeys, langurs, and proboscis monkeys.
(3) $50 for a member commonly referred to as a new world monkey belonging to the family cebidae, including but not limited to cebids, including capuchin monkeys, howlers, woolly monkeys, squirrel monkeys, night monkeys, titis, uakaris, or to the family callitrichidae, including but not limited to marmosets and tamarins.
f. $100 for a member of the order crocodilia, including but not limited to alligators, caimans, crocodiles, and gharials.
g. $50 for a member of the family varanidae of the order squamata, which are limited to water monitors and crocodile monitors.
h. $50 for a member of the family atractaspidae, including but not limited to mole vipers and burrowing asps.
i. $50 for a member of the family helodermatidae, including but not limited to beaded lizards and gila monsters.
j. $50 for a member of the family elapidae, voperidae, crotalidae, atractaspidae, or hydrophidae which are venomous, including but not limited to cobras, mambas, coral snakes, kraits, adders, vipers, rattlesnakes, copperheads, pit vipers, keelbacks, cottonmouths, and sea snakes.
k. $100 for a member of the superfamily henophidia, which is limited to reticulated pythons and anacondas.

l. $10 for swine which is a member of the species sus scrofa Linnaeus, including but not limited to swine commonly known as Russian boar or European boar of either sex.
77.7(2) The department shall collect either an original registration fee or a renewal registration fee. The renewal fee is one-half the amount of the original fee

21-77.6(82GA,SF564,SF601) Continued ownership-registration form.
77.6(1) The person who continues to own or possess a dangerous wild animal must notify the department using a registration form prepared by the department not later than December 31, 2007.
77.6(2) The registration form shall include all of the following information:
a. The person's name, address, and telephone number.
b. A sworn affidavit that the person meets the requirements necessary to own or possess a dangerous wild animal as provided in this chapter.
c. A complete inventory of each dangerous wild animal which the person owns or possesses. The inventory shall include all of the following information:
(1) The number of dangerous wild animals according to species.
(2) The name of the manufacturer and number of the manufacturer's electronic device implanted in or attached to each dangerous wild animal.
(3) The location where each dangerous wild animal is kept. The person must notify the department in writing within ten days of a change of address or of the location where the dangerous wild animal is kept.
(4) The approximate age, sex, color, weight, scars, and any distinguishing marks of each dangerous wild animal.
(5) The name, business mailing address, and business telephone number of the licensed veterinarian who is responsible for providing care to the dangerous wild animal. The information shall include a statement signed by the licensed veterinarian certifying that the dangerous wild animal is in good health.
(6) A color photograph of the dangerous wild animal.
(7) A copy of a current liability insurance policy as required in rule 77.4(82GA,SF564,SF601). The person shall submit a copy of the current liability policy to the department each year.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #19
casketmaker
Why did I move to Iowa? I need to move somewhere that does not restrict every aspect of your life. In this little Iowa town a cop can actually arrest you for giving him the stink eye. I was almost arrested because I said "are you serious" to a cop who was going to arrest my 12 year old son for walking down the street with a TOY gun. He said he can arrest me any time he wants for anything I do and all he has to say is that I am interfeering with official duty. I have to get out of here.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Pixtaker
You should get his name and badge number and report him to his boss. Even in small towns cops aren't above the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casketmaker View Post
Why did I move to Iowa? I need to move somewhere that does not restrict every aspect of your life. In this little Iowa town a cop can actually arrest you for giving him the stink eye. I was almost arrested because I said "are you serious" to a cop who was going to arrest my 12 year old son for walking down the street with a TOY gun. He said he can arrest me any time he wants for anything I do and all he has to say is that I am interfeering with official duty. I have to get out of here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!