MHD problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
mmdragons
MHD problems

Hello all, I have had my adult female for about 3 weeks now. She seemed okay until late last week and now early this week. I got her from a guy at a local show. He has sold me some very nice wc animals before so after selecting her I wasnt worried. I have her in a 24x15x24 cage by her self. Temps are 87 at basking and 75 ampient. Hydro is reading 79%... SO She has always been laid back and not the most active, but latley she hasnt moved much and today was laying on the ground for most of the day? Head down eyes open. She hasnt eaten since friday. What should I do? Im not sure what i am doing wrong. Also he hip bones show, but he belly is blumb ans she only looks skinny at her hips? Is that normal? Been that way since day one.
Thanks

Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
I hate to sound discouraging, but it sounds like a typical WC imported MHD. In my experience, they rarely last long. I imagine it is the stress of being captured, packaged, and shipped from one side of the earth to the other, and being exposed to countless other imported species in some dank warehouse before ending up at a dealer's table at an expo where they're exposed to a whole new level of stress...COMBINED with a reasonable parasite load.

IMHO, you have two options. The first is get the lizard to a vet, have it dewormed, maybe bump up the basking temps a tad, DON'T HANDLE IT unnecessarily, and hope for the best.

The second is cheaper, less effort, but probably a little more taxing on your emotions: simply place the unfortunate lizard in a ziplock bag, and stick in the refrigerator, putting it out of its misery. DO NOT put it in the freezer immediately.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
mmdragons
Yeah, I understand. I hunt and fish like the next guy and all that, but i dont think I can do that. I will have do the worming. I try not to handle her. I have moved her to the bottom of the cage. Then she noticed the water and will sit there and drink and drink and drink. I just understand how the stress is getting to her now. I mean I have had her for almost a month and she did sow some interest in food. Anyways, Thank you for the help...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!