I have a problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
houdini1
I have a problem

I was in a small petstore getting a rat for my Bp and this lady comes in with a Bp that she bought for her son. She wanted to Petstore to take it and they wouldn't for obvious reasons. It has scarring all over its body, It has retained eye caps really bad. And its a little underweight. The store refused to take it so I offered and she agreed to give it to me. So I took it home and put him in its own tank with all the hides and water and what not. I am keeping him in a diff. room from my BP just incase hes sick too. Well anyway The snake is mean as hell. Never even been handled. Was fed in his cage and all that good stuff. So let him settle and I put him in his own brand new rubbermaid bin and he took the large mouse right down. I tried and tried so get those eye caps off of him and they just wont budge, and with an untamed snake its kinda hard. I am suprised I didn't get bit. Any ideas on what I can do for him. I am goin to nurse him back to health and then give him to my friend who has lots of ball pythons He just doesnt have the room at the moment hes trying to sell a few of his. I just really dont want to stress this snake out, and my cousin who is my vet wont be back in town for a while. So what should I do about those eye caps. Thanks in advance.
Kristy

Old 02-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
hhmoore
Kristy,
There were a few things in your post that either don't make sense to me, or I just don't follow your logic...but I will focus on your specific question - what to do about the eyecaps. There are two main schools of thought: 1) get them off, or 2) leave them alone (the idea here being that the snake is feeding...improve conditions and soak it prior to its next shed, in hopes that the eyecaps come off then. If not, worry about it at that time). Your course will depend on your attitude and experience. I'm not exactly sure how to interpret It has retained eye caps really bad...but if there are 2 or more caps on a side, only deal with one at a time. It is too easy to cause permanent damage to the eyes. Personally, I am a proponent of doing a long soak before messing with caps (several hours, if not overnight), but only if the container can be kept at a suitable temperature. For the really stubborn ones, a small drop of mineral oil will frequently do the trick (apply it, and leave it alone.) If you get mineral oil on the snake, you will have scales shedding all over the place.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:35 AM   #3
Cat_72
This probably goes without saying, but with especially with the condition this snake is in, I would be very careful to follow quarantine procedures.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
houdini1
Thank you...

I managed to find another reptile vet in the area and I made an appointment for today. Going to take him in and have him checked out to ensure the snakes saftey and wellbeing. I just dont want to hurt this snake anymore than he already has been. The eyecaps on his eyes look really dry, It just looks like they have been there forever. I will give an update on him later today or tomorrow.
Kristy

Old 03-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Biscuit71
I usually have good luck in putting the snake into a pillow case or snake bag that has been soaked down in warm water. I then put the snake into a rubbermaid with holes and set it all into its enclosure. It takes about 20-30 minutes and between the snake rubbing against the bag and the moisture, most of the stuck shed comes off there. I have also used moist Q-tips to gently rub the stuck caps off..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!