IL CONSTRICTOR LAWS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
constrictorcrazi74
IL CONSTRICTOR LAWS

IVE BEEN TOLD BY A FEW PEOPLE THAT IN ILLINOIS 6FT CONSTRICTOR IS A STATE LAW AND 8FT IS A FEDERAL LAW AND I CAN NOT FIND ANY WERE THAT TELLS ME THE RESRTICTIONS ON LARGER CONSTRICTORS ARE IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME FIND THEM WOULD HELP ALOT

THANKS
JOE

Old 03-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Phat Tony
check out the chicago herp society web page. Yes it is illegal to own a constrictor over 6 ft without a permit in IL. Not sure where you can get a permit either. Probably would have to check with the ILDNR on that aspect. Also not sure that I would want to go around asking where do I go to get a permit to legally own a snake if you already have one. Just play it safe and you should be good.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
THEREALMIKEMOORE
THIS IS TRUE

Yes this is true. I live in Chicago. I remember when I was in highschool we had a 14ft burm in my animal and science class. We had a really cool teacher and he would let us take the snakes and other animals out and handle them. But he always said dont take the burm outside the classroom. So this one idiot that it would be funny to take the 14ft snake down the hall way and scare this girl. Well when he attempting to do this our principal was walking down the hallway showing out school to some international business men( I went to one of the top 10 h.s. in the nation) our school. Well he say this and got mad. To make a long story short some how someone else found out this and my teacher was giving a fine my the state and had 24hrs to remove the snake from the school.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
xrayeric1993
Not true

The only law Illinois has concerning length of constictors clearly states that only dangerous snakes are prohibited. What is a considered a dangerous snake? According to the Illinois Supreme court it is any snake over 15 feet in length. Individual statutes may vary. For more information look it up on Illinois Dept. of Agriculture website.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeric1993
The only law Illinois has concerning length of constictors clearly states that only dangerous snakes are prohibited. What is a considered a dangerous snake? According to the Illinois Supreme court it is any snake over 15 feet in length. Individual statutes may vary. For more information look it up on Illinois Dept. of Agriculture website.
You need to read the new law. Any snakes of 6ft is illegal without a permit

Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
constrictorcrazi74
yea i no im playin it safe i have my burm but he isnt over 6ft yet so thats why i was lookin into the state laws and i did talked to a guy that come into my work from the dept of ag and he told me about it thanks for the help its good to see people in my area that are into the same thing as me has nany one been to any of the reptile shows in wheaton or were ever there at because ive been wanting to go into them just waiten fer my boss to need more baby chameleons so we can go and pick sum up and i can check it out
thanks joe

Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
trendkill
Wheaton show

I live 5 minutes from the fairgrounds and im at the shows regularly. Ill answer whatever questions i can about it.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
constrictorcrazi74
is it worth the trip down there from joliet to check stuff out i no my boss needs chameleons and rabbits for the shop so im pretty sure im gunna be takeing a trip down there the 7th of this month either way is there alot of ball morphs and boas down there im not really into the lizards of turtles just mainly constrictors so if theres alot of boas and pythons down there im going to be excited

Old 03-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Fairgrounds

I went to the Wheaton show twice last month. It a pretty nice show. It is kind of small but at the same time that is a good thing you get to see all the animals and breeders. It is a great place where you can get your feeders from live and f/t. I dont know about everybody else but around my house they charge 5 bucks for 1 rat and at the fairground you can get them from 1.00-2.00(for large). But In all its a nice animal expo(espicially for only 5 bucks to get in). I know I will be thier on the 7th picking up some feeders and checking on the python collection.

Sicerely,

Old 03-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
constrictorcrazi74
what local pet shop do you go to get ur feeders

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!