Treating with Amoxycillin? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
ms_terese
Exclamation Treating with Amoxycillin?

I need some advice.

A local pet store bought one of our adult childrens pythons. 2 months later, they called and said they couldn't get it to feed. He had only taken one meal after arriving there. They asked us to take a look, and sure enough, it seemed like a mild RI had set in. After taking it home and cranking some heat, he still didn't want food and didn't appear to be getting better, so we called on help from our local (rural) vet. Our vet, who isn't much into snakes, but normally can get us any sort of meds we might need, was asked if he could provide some Baytril.

Our vet gave us amoxycillin capsules (250 mgs. each) and said it will provide the same treatment. His instructions are one cap every 12 hours.

I don't know about that. Does anyone have any experience with dosing amoxy for an RI?

Old 01-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
CheriS
Not with a URI, but it should be effective. We have used it with a nasty bite infection on a 1000 gram iguana(wound closed and the knee was infected. That dose was 1/4 of a 250mg tablet twice a day

Old 02-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
jsrocket
How did this turn out?

I guess the title says it all. Hope it worked out for you. Would be interested in knowing.

If it did not go well, and you dont feel like responding, I understand.

I am researching people's stories of reptiles that have been treated with antibiotics, and every story serves to increase the knowledge base.

Thanks, Ritchie

Old 02-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
ms_terese
I went with my gut and drove 100 miles to a vet that had Baytril. The animal responded well and has now resumed eating. All's well that ends well! Thanks for asking!

Old 02-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
jsrocket
Your gut was right. Assuming the snake weighed around 2 pounds, the correct dosage would have been around 25mg/day NOT 500!!! (he was only off by 2000%!!!) Also, amoxy is ineffective in reptiles unless combined with another drug, so vets almost never prescribe it (in reptiles). If a yahoo like me can find this info on the net, I don't know what that vet's excuse is. Could have killed the snake.

Having said all that, I'm glad to hear the snake recovered. Ritchie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!