Do you think a blanket box is too small for 1:3 or 1:4 geckos? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-16-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
ragnew
Do you think a blanket box is too small for 1:3 or 1:4 geckos?

Hey folks,

I've made up my mind, and I'm getting my newest rack unit on next Friday.... So, do you think that 1:3 or 1:4 animals would be okay in a blanket box? Or should I go with the sweater boxes and leave all my geckos individually?

I'm kind of thinking that a harem setup would be about the best way to go, I actually think some of my little guys/gals do better when they have the company of others with'em.

Thanks everyone, I just wanted to see what you all thought.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #2
KelliH
I used to keep my adults in colonies of 1.3 in blanket boxes and they do great. I just kept it simple, paper towel substrate, 2 hides on the warm end, 1 hide on the cool end, nest box on the cool end, water bowl, feeding dish.

You will get great production when keeping them in colonies. IU keep most of mine singly now, mainly for record keeping purposes. Also, the female tend to hold their weight a little better that way.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
TheHypoGecko
I keep all my males in their own enclosures and I don't leave them in with the females. I only put the males in with the females when I want them to breed. I keep most of my females in groups and only a few are housed individually. Some individuals do better in groups while others don't. I usually keep 2 - 3 females in a blanket box.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:32 PM   #4
lostkauze
Hi. A blanket box is how big... 32q? I'm a little out of touch with the real names/purposes of the plastic bins. :-)

Michael

Old 07-16-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
robin d.
ritchie,
one thing to add though.... do not colonize them until they are of breeding size and age (45+ grams minimal) ... i tried colonizing some juvies a couple of years ago and they did not grow very well... i had everything they needed... hide boxes.. multiple dishes or water and food everything and for some reason they just sorta stopped growing... they just ate to maintain. i think if they are raised up as hatchlings in groups it may be different but these animals had been raised individually up until i put them together (about 20 or 25 grams) they didnt fare well... big lesson learned... so now i do keep some in colonies but only after they have reached a certain "adult size" like i said (45+ grmas) but i even prefer 50 grmas....

Old 07-16-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
robin d.
michael,
the sterilite brand blanket boxes are 28 qt

Old 07-17-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
ragnew
Thanks for all the replies.... :)

Heya Folks,

Thanks much for all the info, and opinions... I do appreciate it. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and use the group housing style, but I'll make sure all my beasties are at a good size and weight.

The animals that'll be going into the groups are all my adults, the youngest one is right around a year and a half old. I'm pretty cyked about getting this thing, can't wait...

Again, thanks much and as always it's much appreciated!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!