FOR ADOPTION IN NC: Young RTB and 2 Green Iguanas - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Adoptions

Notices

Adoptions This section is for people OFFERING animals for adoption. NOT solicitations asking for free animals.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
sn8kecowboy84
amen sister

Old 09-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Tim Cole
As an ex permitted rehabber myself (over 10 years) the care of the animals is number one.

I take in all of the Reptile Rescues for 7 City Municipalities and 2 County Shelters. I also have a 4 hour training class that is taught to Texas Animal Control Officers a minimum of 4 times a year. I am not the local Craigslist teenager calling himself a rescue. In fact, I don't advertise being a rescue so as not to become overwhelmed by burms, boas, red-eared sliders, and green iguanas.

But as a person that makes their living educating people about reptiles and amphibians I believe in we should be more knowledgeable than your average pet store employee. The temperament and care of a true Red-tail (BCC) IS different than a Common Boa (BCI).

Calling a Common Boa a Red-tail is deceiving to the public and was started by
petstores as a sales "gimmick"! Those of us that were keeping boas 40 years ago were privy to the proper id of boas since the reptile stores back then were far and few between with true Red-tails being labeled with locales such as Peruvian, Suriname, Guyana, etc.

There are lot of books and websites with the proper info on this subject such as http://www.riobravoreptiles.com/care_raisingboas.htm.

Widow peaks are an easy marker for Red-tails along with belly patterns.

Forgive me for adhering to a higher standard and not wanting to deceive anyone.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
sn8kecowboy84
so its more important to you to know exactly what boa it is not as improtant if it finds a home familiar with boas and large constrictors cause otherwise there is no reason to point that out on this thread and if you dont want the snake why point out a mistake that really isnt that big a deal go to a discsion forum and talk about exactly the diffrence between red tail and columbian I believe thats why they have those forums

Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
SnakeLadyK
Look. I didn't come on here to fight about red tails, commons, whatever. I came here to find a good home for a healthy, beautiful snake. I'm a human moron and mislabeled it. SHOOT ME!
I'm not overly educated with an alphabet behind my name. I'm a middle aged, fat, half-blood granma that loves her family and her animals more than life itself.
You feel free to have your higher standards, but to label me deceitful because I can't tell the difference between a BCC and a BCI concerning a snake that is being GIVEN away makes you sound like a pretentious jerk.
Had I put a $200 price tag on him, then you would have just cause to be calling me out as a deceiver, but I didn't.

The woman that adopted this snake, contacted me personally and told me what she thought he was and what distinguishing markers he had that showed it. When she came here to get him, she held him out to point out the markers and then looked at my other boas and showed me what distinguishing marks they had that could dictate where they came from.
A very kind thing to do, I think.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
pitbulllady
Yes, that would be me! The snake, which is definitely a Colombian, does have several "Jungle" characteristics. "He" is also very definitely a "she". Whether or not the characteristics are genetic, who knows? She looks very similar to one of my known male "low-expression" Jungle Boas, and if I breed her to one of my Jungles and get "Super-Jungles", I'll know for sure. She is a really pretty snake, considering that the guy who had her for so long thought she was a BALL PYTHON all that time and was feeding her wild-caught rodents. No one knows her true background. Yeah, if someone was trying to sell a regular Colombian Boa for big bucks and called it a "Red-Tail"(and yes, I have those, too, Surinames to be exact), it would bother me, but SnakeLadyK is definitely not trying to make money off of this snake, just wanting to find a good local home for her, so I'm not going to get my drawers in a wad over the symantics. Besides, I'm still having too much fun playing with this huge colony of Dubias I got from her-I love these darn things! They're like little Trilobites!

S.A. McKenzie

Old 09-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #16
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeLadyK View Post
Look. I didn't come on here to fight about red tails, commons, whatever. I came here to find a good home for a healthy, beautiful snake. I'm a human moron and mislabeled it. SHOOT ME!
I'm not overly educated with an alphabet behind my name. I'm a middle aged, fat, half-blood granma that loves her family and her animals more than life itself.
You feel free to have your higher standards, but to label me deceitful because I can't tell the difference between a BCC and a BCI concerning a snake that is being GIVEN away makes you sound like a pretentious jerk.
Had I put a $200 price tag on him, then you would have just cause to be calling me out as a deceiver, but I didn't.

The woman that adopted this snake, contacted me personally and told me what she thought he was and what distinguishing markers he had that showed it. When she came here to get him, she held him out to point out the markers and then looked at my other boas and showed me what distinguishing marks they had that could dictate where they came from.
A very kind thing to do, I think.
I'm sorry you have such a difficult time with being educated about that which has brought us all here to this forum.

I'm not here to give you a hard time and have no desire to continue this discussion. I did not call YOU deceitful but if you look at craigslist ads you will see what I am talking about.

Good luck with your closed mind from an overweight 53 year old who has been keeping herps for over 45 years and am continually getting educated with an open mind.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
TBrouse
Calling K closed minded couldn't be furthest from the truth. Its not the information you presented, its the manner in which you presented it.
You don't educate anyone by belittling them. K is one of the kindest, most generous people you would ever meet. Her downfall is she expects others to show the same.

You're right. This discussion needs to be over.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
annmikeal
She has already re homed the boa, it really does not matter anymore

Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
TBrouse
You're right. It doesn't matter anymore.
I'm watching my beautiful wife die slowly from a terminal illness and theres nothing I can do to stop it.
The least I can do is defender her honor.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
annmikeal
Your a good man Tim, give K a hug for me

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!