Are you afraid to buy high end snakes due to potential legislation? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

View Poll Results: Are you afraid to invest in snakes due to potential legislation?
Absolutely 10 10.31%
Somewhat 38 39.18%
Not at all 38 39.18%
Its the economy 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Utta
For me, its the economy. If I had 20grand to spend, id blow it in about half a second, and own one of nerds leucy retics.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
mxracer4life
I am trying to be positive about it all. And like Twizted Paths, regardless of the outcome of the "python ban" I will continue to keep my beloved snakes.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
jscianni21
if the ban does happen would we be able to keep what animals we had prior to the ban or are they going to actually take them away ?

i mean i wouldn't throw it past our gov to do something like that

i guess instead of the war on drugs they would switch to wasting billions of taxpayers money on the war snake/pets i think its crazy they say the us is free

its free except you can't do this this and this don't forget this ect...

Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
Amelanistic Orca
It's a buyer market still!!! We are purchasing and collecting still!! We do our own rodents, so it don't bother us none!! McLovin it!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
mxracer4life
If the ban goes through I understand that we can keep them as pets, just can't transport them over state line in any way. Mine aren't going anywhere.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
The proposed legislation has definitely affected not only my buying habits, but the time line for the way I intended to build my collection as well.

I weigh every single boa I want up against the possible worst outcome of it. Most come up short.

I will be leaving this state, I will be taking my snakes with me. Boas & all, regardless of the outcome. Any boa I buy now has to awesome enough for me to break federal law for.

There are also boas I've went all out for ahead of schedule just in case it passes and I can't get my hands on them in the future.

And I'm really really tempted to grab a retic now instead of waiting, even though I know I should wait.

In regard to species not yet on the list, that also affected my planned purchases.

I bought some Carpets ahead of schedule. Just in case, since I figure they'd be one of the next easy targets if this passes or is tried again.

It managed to even out to me spending about the same amount of money I normally would, just a lot more carefully & in a slightly different direction.
Good planning! This is a perspective that I hadn't thought about!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
TailsWithScales
I voted "Somewhat" because for me it's not just the economy that's causing me to evaluate getting back into breeding large python species. It's also a pointless effort if I'm only stuck selling them within my state.
I would rather just have one or two who are solely pets if that's going to be the case.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Helenthereef
Do you know yet what the penalties would be for transporting snakes across states? If it's fines might some people just kind of build that into prices?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
mxracer4life
lol. Thats funny. We herpers will find a way! I am sure that it will not end with these 9 species being illegal in anyway. They will come up with something to make us happy. They don't want this to end up like some other things that are illegal now, lol. If you know what I mean.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
garweft
I see some people that say they are worried that they can only sell in their state. But don't forget that only people in your state can sell in your state!!

No more wholesale animals coming into Ohio to be sold at shows, only those bred in Ohio. Might not be good for all the Florida and California breeders, but not all bad for most states.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!