LAY BIN FOR DRAGONS. PLUS A BOUNS! Dragons laying, babies hatching GOOD stuff here - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful88 View Post
Hey Tom, great pictures man.

One thing I've been wondering that I didn't find in your post (or, maybe I missed it in your post?)... I've read to not "turn" the eggs when moving them from the lay bin to the incubator. Whenever I read that, i'm not which which way of "turning" they are talking about, on a "Y-axis" or "X-axis" type turn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
That is not true...you can move the eggs without worrying if you are just getting them from the lay box into the incubating box. I would only be more careful if some days have elapsed and then you should try to move them according to the way they are laid.. I take mine out pretty much the way they are laid but it's not possible when they are stacked,even some of them on their ends or being scattered about as you dig them up.
I will have to go with Angie. when your pulling them outta the bin after the female layed the eggs you dont have to "dot" the top of the egg.

For instance, your looking for the clutch of eggs and you find them as your putting them in a bin to go into the incubator. You come across a egg that is standing on end! what do you do? I usually lay the end to what ever side it was leaning to when i found it. and if the egg is straight up and down i just pick a side to lay it on.

Once the egg has settled for a few days, def. dont turn it then. i havent turned them before to find out what happens, i have just heard it kills them. So its something i dont mess with to much.

BUT alittle secret. when 60 - 65 days has went by and i am thinking they should be hatching soon. i have done a 15% turn to a egg or two. and sometimes, they have been know to hatch alittle sooner. Also Another little tib bit. When your dragons are kept in a bin (like i keep mine) they start hatching and some people are fast to take them out and put them in there cage. Well if you leave that baby in there for alittle while. it walks on the other eggs. that kinda motivates the others to start moving around and start hatching. so sometimes it can take a entire clutch a week to hatch. but if you leave the hatched baby in the container they can all hatch within 24-48 hrs. I experimented with that 2 years ago. and it seems to work every time. If you dont believe me give it a shot.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
mmdragons

If you turn the egg a couple of weeks later it will drown the embryo inside, but right away the only thing inside the egg is goo and veins. I don't now if youo saw a tv program or something were they were collecting alligator eggs but they mark the tops because they don't know how they have been incubating for, but we reptile breeders do know

Old 02-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdragons View Post

If you turn the egg a couple of weeks later it will drown the embryo inside, but right away the only thing inside the egg is goo and veins. I don't now if youo saw a tv program or something were they were collecting alligator eggs but they mark the tops because they don't know how they have been incubating for, but we reptile breeders do know
The t.v. show was "Dirty Jobs". and it was alligator farmers. and they were marking the top of the egg with a bingo stamper thing-e. cant remember what there called. my g-mom would be upset!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
mmdragons
haha thats what I was think of too I just saw that episode last week!!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdragons View Post
haha thats what I was think of too I just saw that episode last week!!
I seen it a couple of months ago.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
crazycoolpaul
female leather laying

So today my female leather het hypo laid her eggs. 16'' long and was at 398 grams before she laid. I use a similar setup to toms but i use a mixture of potting soil to sand 80/20 seems to work great. My female took the lazy route and just picked a corner and just laid a nice 25 - 2 bad ones. But tom has a great method of doing what he does and i always like to hear about different ways to do things. Thanks tom for the extra hints on the lay bins it helped.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #17
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycoolpaul View Post
So today my female leather het hypo laid her eggs. 16'' long and was at 398 grams before she laid. I use a similar setup to toms but i use a mixture of potting soil to sand 80/20 seems to work great. My female took the lazy route and just picked a corner and just laid a nice 25 - 2 bad ones. But tom has a great method of doing what he does and i always like to hear about different ways to do things. Thanks tom for the extra hints on the lay bins it helped.
Good stuff Paul.
It maybe not be the lazy route. some dragons i noticed dig and burrow until there comfortable to lay there eggs and some dragons dont need to be hidden in a burrow. they just dig like yours dig and covers the clutch when finished. I tend to like dragons like that. i let them cover there eggs half way and pull them out and put them in the tub. It makes it easier on you when your collecting the eggs. You know exactly where they are and you do have to dig for them.

Any other breeders that got any females in the lay bin??? Love to see some pics

Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
crazycoolpaul
Allen X dachiu laying

Thanks Tom!

Here is another way i learned from rob dachiu's site.I made a cage dedicated for a lay bin using the Exo-Earth you had mentioned, i set the substrate up with a hole already started and she started digging in different places till she just decided to lay right on top. Allen X dachiu laying

Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycoolpaul View Post
Thanks Tom!

Here is another way i learned from rob dachiu's site.I made a cage dedicated for a lay bin using the Exo-Earth you had mentioned, i set the substrate up with a hole already started and she started digging in different places till she just decided to lay right on top. Allen X dachiu laying
lol, if i have a cage better believe there would be a dragon living in it before i turn it into a lay bin...

Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
dragonluver83
Hey Paul another thing, looking at your soil it looks to be alittle dry. maybe another reason why she dug out the corner instead of a tunnel. it doesnt look like it would hold a tunnel shape without collapsing on her. but i can see the lose soil and it looks to be lighter and dryer. Just a thought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!