Morelia Spilota Spilota ??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-15-2003, 07:56 AM   #1
cnasden
Morelia Spilota Spilota ???

Diamond pythons, what is the actual reason these are so hard to find. From what I understand that they are extremely hard to care for and breed in captivity. Is this true.
The reason I am asking I had a customer from the university asking to purchase one.
When I looked for one I came up with nothing but the crosses.
Any and all input on this topic helpfully.
Thanks
Chris Thompson

Old 11-15-2003, 11:09 AM   #2
Seamus Haley
There is a long standing reputation for the subspecies as being difficult to keep, breed and incubate which may or may not be entirely accurate... remember, GTP were impossible at one point too and there are species of chameleons which "could never be bred in captivity"

At this point though there is a much larger problem inherent in locating pure animals-

Australia's wildlife hasn't been legally exported in going on twenty, twenty five years now. Once another subspecies is introduced into a bloodline, it's impossible to ever purify it. Ever. It's a tainted genetic dead end for those looking for pure subspecific animals. After it was discovered that diamond x carpets were easier to breed and incubate out than pure diamonds, it was really just a matter of time before the bloodlines became permanantly tainted.

And people don't see why I dislike hybrids and unnatural subspecific intergrades.

Old 11-15-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Dan's_herps
so does that mean that my jungle carpet python is a cross?
that would suck, she is pritty in color and she is very nice, i got her from east bay vivarium, and they said she was a jcp, could she be a cross?
Dan

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!