worlds first spider carpalls - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #41
asplundii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay View Post
Well... yes, of course, PCR is inexpensive (about $7.45 per primer [30nt]) and effective... however... DESIGNING primers is EXTREMELY difficult, considering that the genomes of these species have not (to my knowledge) been sequenced at this point in time. While the protein sequence of the tyr gene is likely highly conserved in eukaryotic organisms, this does not in fact mean that the nucleotide sequence is conserved... (degenerative genetic code, codon bias, etc). In addition, you would need to design primers specific to each species, since they will not be the same.
I see what you are saying but I do not agree that it would be as difficult as you think. If you align Rattus tyr vs. Mus tyr you have 92% identity. I find it hard to believe that ball vs. carpet is going to show a massive deviation when you consider that they are at least as close to one another as Rattus are to Mus (possibly more closely related because Rattus x Mus hybrids always die before reaching more than a dozen divisions...) Similarly, if you align Homo vs. Rattus or Homo vs. Mus you have 83% and 84% identity respectively, primarily over the first 1800 nucleotides. That is still a large degree of alignment.

Now, I accept that balls and carpets, being reptiles, are rather more distant from Rattus/Mus than Rattus/Mus are from Homo but when you still see a huge degree of identity over 1800nt then it is a fair guess that you could use known sequences to generate somewhat degenerate primers that could work. And with the impending release of the Xenopus genome you could probably get closer using sequence from that. If you were feeling adventurous you could probably use the degenerate primers to run out a primer extension and get a more exact sequence to design specific primers with. Slightly more time consuming but still a relatively simple process for your average gene freak.

Quote:
You clearly have a fairly decent understanding of molecular biology... just out of curiosity, are you a student/graduate?
I am a little further along than student .

Old 05-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #42
ReptileJay
I hadn't thought about using Xenopus... I suppose you COULD take the tyr sequence from Xenopus and design primers that way... sequences should be similar enough to at least get something started that way.
It seems to me that primer extension would be the only way to really ensure that you're getting what you're looking for... since the 5' and 3' flanks of the tyr gene are probably not conserved between species... Then I suppose you'd have to use the new primers on samples from both WT and albino specimens of each species you're looking at, and compare sequence of the PCR products...

I suppose looking at it WITH Xenopus' genome in the picture it really isn't THAT daunting of a task... but I would HATE to try to use mammalian genomes to design primers for reptilian genes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asplundii View Post
I am a little further along than student .
You're a step ahead of me on THAT... I'm a few years away from where you are... about 1 year of coursework and then thesis...

Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #43
brandon l
thats cool you hatched these out. i assume this was on purpose?

your spelling is terrible.

also, i have to say something negative, if you will...is your avatar a picture of yourself (if not you...youre still promoting) a venomous/venomoid monocled cobra free handling? you know...children can view this site. people who are looking to get into HOTS may see that picture and think its cool. Its these sorts of things that will bring an end to the hobby of keeping venomous snakes. Look how fast big pythons are becoming a large topic of controversy.

I'm just saying...Your photo doesn't do the reptile hobby any good...especially to those of us that keep venomous animals. However, your hybrid project is pretty tight...Keep us posted on the neurological issues that may or may not transpire from the Jag gene.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #44
towdude1074
hey brsndon l if you are so smar ,and wan o corrrrrect me oops you migh want to read att leastt the original postt smart ass. spider carpalls, not jag smar guy. and have no dought hats me in the avatar 20 years ago . dont hate just because you have nothing to do alll day. i did not post in this fourm it was moved here because of people like you . you don like my spelling oh well, you cant read. so what it is is wha it is. dont like it dont look.jus so you know i misspeld some words just for you.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #45
brandon l
i've always laughed at people who shit talk on forums.

so i miss read the jag part.

however, you seem to still not care about the "showing off of free handling venomous snakes". sad. truly is sad.

there are some forums that would have banned that image b/c of the negative attractions it brings.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #46
Dennis Hultman
Well Brandon,

Quote:
thats cool you hatched these out. i assume this was on purpose?

your spelling is terrible.

also, i have to say something negative, if you will...is your avatar a picture of yourself (if not you...youre still promoting) a venomous/venomoid monocled cobra free handling? you know...children can view this site. people who are looking to get into HOTS may see that picture and think its cool. Its these sorts of things that will bring an end to the hobby of keeping venomous snakes. Look how fast big pythons are becoming a large topic of controversy.

I'm just saying...Your photo doesn't do the reptile hobby any good...especially to those of us that keep venomous animals. However, your hybrid project is pretty tight...Keep us posted on the neurological issues that may or may not transpire from the Jag gene.
Quote:
i've always laughed at people who shit talk on forums.

so i miss read the jag part.

however, you seem to still not care about the "showing off of free handling venomous snakes". sad. truly is sad.

there are some forums that would have banned that image b/c of the negative attractions it brings.

Last time I checked we didn't bring on a English Teacher to search the classifieds to correct peoples spelling and/or grammar. You can state your opinion on hybrids considering that is the topic here but you will do so without the abusiveness. Considering this is not a discussion on free handling or venomoids the comments aren't needed here either. My personal opinion is that I don't agree with any hybrids, free handling venomous or venomoids but if I made a choice to discuss any of the subjects, I would do so in the appropriate places and not feel the need to boost reactions by attacking someones spelling.

I find it somewhat funny that in your only two responses here that the first one you state that children can view this site and you attack the OP on several points, then in your second post you use profanity and state you always laugh at people that talk umm garbage on forums.

Seems to me your trolling and being borderline abusive in this forum.
I suggest that you knock it off. It's not going to be tolerate in either the classifieds or the general discussion forums.

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #47
Cp3_Pythons
Great Job Gus & Adam simply amazing

Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #48
lance_portal
Me being a hybrid guy myself.... I do have a question....what made you do this breeding???? You don't seem like your a "hybrid guy"...I dont mean that in a bad way... but how you talk/write about them "i cant go back and forth with every q & a" seems more money oriented then the science or genetics of hybrids. From day one your talking about money...which is fine if thats the case.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #49
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance_portal View Post
From day one your talking about money...
Prior to this thread being moved to the discussion forums, it was initially posted in the classifieds as an ad. Hence, the talk of money in the OP's earlier posts.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #50
lance_portal
but he did post another in this area "Worlds first carpalls picture update" is the heading.... talkin about money in that..just looks like the same post just added it here, looks like a copy & paste.

Because of this...I Think we are going to see alot more of this for right and wrong reasons... Been breeding gecko hybrids for years and still to this day i have never sold a one becuase of what it could do to the pure lines in the wrong breeders hands. In a way infecting the pure lines so one day we will never know if we have a pure ball or a morph or a hybrid. I buy hybrids all the time...In the right hands hybrid are fine...selling to just anyone could hurt the rest of the hobby in the long run....look at all the carpet hybrids, diamonds and coastal mutts..very dangerous. I luv hybrid but see the damage they can and will do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!