BP Genetics Question,How Is This Possible? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
deborahbroadus
Has anyone disproved the Theory of the Spider Super? It was bandied about that a Super would produce all Spiders in every clutch (although there would be no way to visually differentiate a Super from a Normal Spider)...something to consider?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
WillArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Has anyone disproved the Theory of the Spider Super? It was bandied about that a Super would produce all Spiders in every clutch (although there would be no way to visually differentiate a Super from a Normal Spider)...something to consider?
Unless someone is willing to do some really in depth lab work,I guess we will never know.That had actually came up from a local breeder in my area who thought the same thing.Seems logical that it should be that way but....

Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Coralluscomplex
The odds of you getting all nine spider babies is just less than 0.2%. Terribly unlikely. Id say odds are she was bred to a male homozygous for the spider trate. A "super spider" which would look no different but would carry 2 spider genes and would sire 100% spider babies. As far as the delayed fertilization goes, you'd need to know more about the timeline of the spider pairings to warrant a guess. Though snake sperm is encapsulated and capable of surviving for quite some time. Congratulations though!! That's very exciting!!

Old 10-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
Focal
Pics!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #15
Beardiefreak26
three letters yet so important lol nice focal

Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
rcpreis3
Erhm.... (whispers) - its actually 4 letters.

But all the same yes we want pics! And to the person who has the spider male that consistantly throws all spiders, ( sorry, im on my phone so cant go back check ur name) how many females has he produced with?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
Erhm.... (whispers) - its actually 4 letters.

But all the same yes we want pics! And to the person who has the spider male that consistantly throws all spiders, ( sorry, im on my phone so cant go back check ur name) how many females has he produced with?
Good question!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
Randy F
[quote=deborahbroadus;1355588]Has anyone disproved the Theory of the Spider Super? QUOTE]

I just had this talk with Nick Mutton. In case you do not know him, he is mainly a carpet python guy with a small but super nice ball collection and a gene god. We were talking about some of the morphs that do not have a super and how a couple BIG names tend to babble (lie) their way through questions. One of the easiest ways to conceal lethal combos is to say "I have been so busy making combos that I have never tried" which if you think about it is kinda funny. I have been making combos for many years to the tune of 4 and 5 gene animals but never tried for a super? He stated that every attempt he heard of has had the eggs die half way through incubation. The only ones that lived died a short period of time later, or just would not gain size. Now another question to come in to play is if their was a super spider out there that could just be a really reduced pattern.......who retarded would it be? Now on the other hand, would it make a baby without neurological issues? Two dwarfs can have a normal sized baby! I would imagine that if it could be done someone would have done it by now and have pics to prove it along with data. Now could it be that a spider bred to another spider with other genes in the mix could cancel a lethal gene and prove out? Its much like the question of the desert females not producing because of temps, but if you have a desert gene in a 3 gene female it will breed as the other two would but could possess the desert gene?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #19
deborahbroadus
[quote=Randy F;1416075]
Quote:
Has anyone disproved the Theory of the Spider Super? QUOTE]

I just had this talk with Nick Mutton. In case you do not know him, he is mainly a carpet python guy with a small but super nice ball collection and a gene god. We were talking about some of the morphs that do not have a super and how a couple BIG names tend to babble (lie) their way through questions. One of the easiest ways to conceal lethal combos is to say "I have been so busy making combos that I have never tried" which if you think about it is kinda funny. I have been making combos for many years to the tune of 4 and 5 gene animals but never tried for a super? He stated that every attempt he heard of has had the eggs die half way through incubation. The only ones that lived died a short period of time later, or just would not gain size. Now another question to come in to play is if their was a super spider out there that could just be a really reduced pattern.......who retarded would it be? Now on the other hand, would it make a baby without neurological issues? Two dwarfs can have a normal sized baby! I would imagine that if it could be done someone would have done it by now and have pics to prove it along with data. Now could it be that a spider bred to another spider with other genes in the mix could cancel a lethal gene and prove out? Its much like the question of the desert females not producing because of temps, but if you have a desert gene in a 3 gene female it will breed as the other two would but could possess the desert gene?
I'm not sure that I'm getting your point. Can you clarify?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
rcpreis3
[quote=Randy F;1416075]
Quote:
Has anyone disproved the Theory of the Spider Super? QUOTE]

I think my brain just exploded,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!