Eating enough salad? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
Ndecent240
Eating enough salad?

I have had my beardie for about two weeks. He is about 11" from nose to the tip of his tail. He has adjusted pretty well as far as activity and handling goes, but I'm just concerned about how much salad he eats. He eats his crickets fine, but he only eats about 2 or 3 tablespoons of salad a day, sometimes less. I am using collard greens, carrots, butternut squash, and a little bit of broccolli (just the top, none of the stalk) and it's all sliced up really well. Should he be eating more that that?

Also, I top it off with 2 grapes sliced up, he tends to eat around the grapes. I thought they loved fruit as a treat?!? So far, he won't eat out of my hand yet. Should I expect that this soon or not? I've tried his collard green leaves, and a grape slice, he won't take either (or crickets) from my hand. I am going to get some strawberries tommorrow and try to bribe him.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
lefty_mussolini
My beardies are as tempermental as people when it comes to food. one loves salad, another is o.k. with it, and the other drags her feet like a five year old and seems to say "fine... but I better get some wax worms." that last one will also stare at me blankly when i try to hand feed her and as soon as i put the insect down she eats it. she is very independant but also very healthy.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
Ron Lech
Couldn't agree more Lefty, Beardies tend to respond more to live prey for the most part. Greg be more patient, offer more veggies and supplement the food with calcium powder several times a week, fruit should only be offererd as a treat. Eventually you will have your Beardie eating out of your hands, it just takes time. Mine wouldn't want to leave his log to get his food, had to hand feed him most of the time thats how much I spoiled him

Old 02-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
starwarsdad
They should develop more of a love of salad as they get older. Just keep offering it daily, and they will take to it in their own time. My dragons are 2.5 year old non-breeder males and eat insect prey only about once or twice a month now. Everything else is salad, calcium, and multivitamins.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!