What Are Some Tips I Can Get On Working With Cobras? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O View Post
Venomous act like venomous. Each snake will act different. you can learn hooking skills from some nonvenomous but to say you trained with a nonvenomous and now ready to tackle a hot is not so smart.

Baby cobras tend to be wet noodles and do not hook well at all. You should find a person to work with. There is not much you can learn by reading when it comes to handling hots. Husbandry you can learn a ton but handling not so much. you can learn what tools to use and that is about it.

Also many species of cobras act different. Just a very very general question.

Also are you sure the zoo will offer you the AV they usually only carry enough for their workers if bit. So if you are bit and use their AV and then one of the keepers are bit you used what they needed. I would talk to them about maybe you donating some funds for them to keep more on hand.
I agree with Gary.

Working with a mentor is strongly suggested.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
doofylj
dont poop your pants, they hate that

Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
HogginHissStrike
yes that is very true about cribos...close relative of the eastern indigo which is known to be a very smart snake and they grow to be very large 7+ ft or something im no expert...not a cheap snake but u can get a pair for like 500-600 $

Old 09-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
MiamiCracker
Good advice all around but everybody says the same thing......"work with a mentor"....
yeah well....if some of us could find one it would be helpful but the problem is either nobody with a "hot" license wants to be bothered helping somebody or most of the ones who will "train you" only want free labor.........I have been looking for a long time but thats all I find....I found one guy who says he is will to mentor me but I have been waiting months for a call.
so my advice to the OP is this..........try to find a mentor (you already stated you have a mentor), be very careful as this is a very fluid hobby and you must never think you have nothing else to learn and if you want to practice with a non venomous than yes, Indigos, F.W.Cobras and also yellow rat snakes (chicken snakes) really anything thats fast skittish and bitey........
good luck and stay safe

Old 09-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiCracker View Post
Good advice all around but everybody says the same thing......"work with a mentor"....
yeah well....if some of us could find one it would be helpful but the problem is either nobody with a "hot" license wants to be bothered helping somebody or most of the ones who will "train you" only want free labor.........I have been looking for a long time but thats all I find....I found one guy who says he is will to mentor me but I have been waiting months for a call.
so my advice to the OP is this..........try to find a mentor (you already stated you have a mentor), be very careful as this is a very fluid hobby and you must never think you have nothing else to learn and if you want to practice with a non venomous than yes, Indigos, F.W.Cobras and also yellow rat snakes (chicken snakes) really anything thats fast skittish and bitey........
good luck and stay safe
I would not classify a False Water Cobra as a non-venomous snake. They are rear-fanged and have the potential of delivering a serious bite.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Lucille
Quote:
Just an observation. May not be valid, but I thought I'd put it out there-

You have very few posts. I don't know from the snake mentor community, but I've helped my share of people along the way.

If you maybe posted more, and hung in chat a few evenings a week, you might run into someone.

Also, it might be a two way street. You say that potential mentors only want free labor. It certainly would be taking advantage of you if you were asked to clean snake cages and never got ANY help. Yet, look at it this way. I imagine mentoring venomous might be a careful, time intensive apprenticeship and after an evening of helping you, if the mentor still has to clean cages it isn't so much to ask that you pitch in.

A long time ago there was this movie called The Karate Kid, where the old Sensai mentored a young grasshopper. I recall that some of the preparations required of the youngster seemed unrelated to his goal, like the request to wax the old man's car, yet later in the movie the same muscles developed by waxing were helpful in the karate moves.

Likewise, cleaning cages of venomous might not be so unrelated as you think, I'm thinking that a lot of care and thought goes into even the most mundane chores when working with critters like these.

Good luck, hope you find someone to help.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
MiamiCracker
Ok first and foremost....I AM NOT TROLLING OR STARTING AN ARGUEMENT.......

that being said......I dont think the number of posts I have should have anything to do with anything...(I understand the whole meeting more people and that)......
I didnt say all potential mentors I said most of the ones I have met.
I dont mind helping and I expect to ...but when (and this has happened more than once)
I get to the mentors house and they already have all the snakes (including non-venomous) in temp. cages so I can get right to cleaning and then go in the house and watch TV while I clean and then when i'm done cleaning they basically throw the snakes back in their cages all the while acting like they are talking to a 5 year old....(and this has happened a few times) well then you can just take your "help"and stick it.
Cleaning cages has nothing to do with learning how to handle venomous snakes.......there is no correlation what so ever with cleaning poo and making sure you dont get tagged.
cleaning tells you about the snake its self like where it like to hide, bask, what branch it like more than the rest and so forth but nothing to do with actual handling. and as for the Karate kid reference.....really.....again nothing to do with what I was talking about...and Grasshopper is not from The Karate Kid it's from Kung Fu with David Carradine. and again cleaning cages will not teach you anything about handleing a snake. unless your the one removing it or returning it.
I have had venomous before I have over 20 years expierence but I have never had anybody "sign off" so I can get my VRL (I live in Florida) I know what i'm doing, I have never been tagged (knocking on wood), but I would still love to find somebody who would be willing to help me get it done but again mostly what you find is what I said in my o.p.
sorry for thread jacking but its one of the most annoying subjects.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #18
jasonlundquist
Quote:
Originally Posted by customoverload View Post
I've already done that. The zoo is the closest place which is 8 miles away from the hospital.
Most zoos only supply antivenom to staff and will not supply, even in an emergency, to hospitals. I'd contact the zoo.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
Lucille
Quote:
Grasshopper is not from The Karate Kid it's from Kung Fu with David Carradine.
I appreciate the correction, it has helped me understand this thread, and your situation, a little bit better.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #20
jparker1167
i would not really want to mentor anyone. people love to sue everyone and what happens if you get bit by their snake? than they have to pay hospital bill and maybe someone decides to sue also than its a big mess for the mentor who was trying to help out someone.

now i think its bs to say they will mentor you, have you clean cages while they go in and watch tv. they should remove the snake while you watch, maybe from 2 cages and while the snakes are in the holding container you both clean a cage. than you watch them put the snakes back. that way you see how its done, before you take one out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!